Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing rulers... >

Storing rulers...

Storing rulers...

Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Hi, wooden drying racks are great for storing rulers -- also those wire racks that were used for LPs , you can find those in charity shops.Lets face it , patchwork started as a way to use up fabric so let's look to the past, in these days it's good to be frugal.Love to you all, Letty
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I made myself one and it hangs on the back of my sewing room door.
Everyone has such great ideas!

I need to have a room that my husband wants to share with me. :) I do have a sunporch for the warmer months but will have to come in out of the cold during the winter.

I'm going to use the idea of hanging holders that I can put on doors when in use and put in the closet when there is company. --If I can get to the room fast enough. :wink:

I have a vertical fabric shoe holder for FQs and a sweater holder for fabric. The hutch I have now will be replaced with a short cabinet to hold a tv with a place underneath to stash my accessories.

It's a win:win for me and DH.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 AM

I watched a Fon's and Porter program this morning and one of their hints was to string the holes on one end of the rulers onto a large shower curtin ring. You can purchase larger rings at the hardware store and then you hang the rings on the wall.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM

I use a headless nail in my wall, its' about 3 inches long so I fit a few or I use a drawer for small ones
Old 08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Shoot, I just hammered nails in my sewing room wall and hung my rulers. I did paint the nails a pretty color first. DH raised his eyebrows but didn't utter one grunt. I didn't wait until he was out of the house to start hammering so he had to see what I was doing.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by My time
Does anyone have any good solutions for storing rulers? I don't want them packed away in a cupboard. I saw a ruler holder at the quilt store but it was $25 and that seemed pricey I'd like them to be handy and accessible.
I bought a circular tie holder at Walmarts
I have the tie holder and keep my loose patterns on it. For the rulers, I bought those big rings that you can use to hold papers (or the plastic embroidery bags). They don't hold as many as the tie rack, but it is easier to get the rulers off. I have a shelf that is designed to have hats hanging under it and I just hook the rulers over the hooks. I have them sorted by sizes so I don't "loose" the little ones in with the big ones.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 AM

I use the metal dividers made for file folders, if that makes any sense. You can put a ruler in each slot, or more than one, depending on how many you have.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM

I use my husband's old shoe rack and some plastic clips on the back of the door. You can see it on the right side of this photo. Tiny rulers go in a clear plastic bag clipped to the rack.

Ruler rack
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239078[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239072.jpe  
Old 08-09-2011, 12:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing..

Originally Posted by janell2009
Maybe I am just too simple.. I just put some nails in the wall by where I use them and I hang them from the nails.. they are right there and I can see them. But I only have 5 rulers of different sizes. So maybe people have more than that, I do not know.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Scrappy Gram
I made a canvas hanger for the back of the door with pockets for each ruler. I used a pattern from By Annie and modified the pockets to fit my collection of rulers.
http://www.byannie.com/shop/product/hanging-organizer/
I like this idea too!