Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing rulers... >

Storing rulers...

Storing rulers...

Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by My time
Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby
I have a circle hanger that I don't like now--the only way to get to the ruler you need is to take all the others off first! Looking for better idea.
I wondered about this system as well. Not as convenient.
I use circle hangers for my cutting rulers and also for my quilting rulers for my long arm. The trick is to not put every ruler you own on the same circle. I have mine on there by size and shape 3-4 usually on each circle thingy. I have an old coat rack with coat hooks on it that I hang the circle hangers from it so they are easy to get too. I like the system as it doesn't take up much floor space and no counter/table space. I also hang all my quilting stencils on the circles too and hang them on the coat rack as well. Since I live in a rental I can't put any nails or hooks on the wall, or even have a peg board. I guess it suits my situation but may not work for others.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM

I have one of these I picked up at a quilt show. DH painted it white and hung it on the wall. The slots are positioned so the rulers are at the correct angle. It is so handy. Love my tools to be in sight & in easy reach.

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
I have a wooden slotted ruler rack, but I don't remember where I bought it. It was several years ago. I know it was mail order and it couldn't have been too expensive or I wouldn't have bought it. I just saw it in the most recent Clotilde catalog for about $15 and I'm sure it's available on their website http://www.clotilde.com

It is 4" x 20" x 5/8" high and has 5 slots. It hold all 7 of my rulers and I consider it well worth what I paid. Maybe you can find it at your local fabric store.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Nails on the wall
Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 PM

I use a multiple skirt hanger that I bought at either Meijer or Walmart, don't remember. It has 8 rubber tipped clips on it so I can hold 8 rulers on each.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238719.jpe  
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 PM

Not all of my rulers have holes in them so I can hang them upon the wall.
You know those clear plastic, sort of medium sized, bags used to put quilts in? They have handles in the center of the top. I put all my rulers in one of those.
Then putting an "over the top of the door" christmas wreath hanger over the closet door, I hang the bag full of many assorted sized rulers on that.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM

I bought a lid holder for pots and pans. my rulers fit quite nicely in the slots. I've arranged them from smallest to largest. been working great.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 PM

I have a few different methods for storing my rulers.

1- I drilled holes on one side of my cutting table then put in long small bolts/screws through these holes, then mounted my rulers, and finally but a nut at the end to keep the rulers on the bolt/screw. I keep similar rulers together. This is where I keep my secondary rulers, like bias square up ruler and square rulers.

2 - I have a homemade ruler holder hanging from one of the above bolts/screws. It is approximately 8 1/2" wide and 22" long made of cotton fabric but with batting between the layers at the backside. It has 3 separate pockets in the front, each pocket getting deeper. This is where I keep my 6", 12," & 24" rulers that I use regularly.

3 - I have 2 of those circular belt holders hanging from the side of my quilting bookcase that hold irregular rulers. Those that I use only for special projects.

4 - I have a portion of a drawer for my smaller templates and rulers and keep any ruler directions with these rulers.

One solution alone isn't enough for me.

I don't want the rulers to take up table top surfaces so I can avoid clutter ... or the look of clutter.

Works for me.

ali
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 AM

I found a sliding book rack at the resale shop for $1.95 and turned it upside down. Mine is on a drawer unit that I made a cutting top for and it is against a wall for support for the larger rulers, but I can put a lot of my rulers in the slots and they stay together and it hasn't fallen yet. the long rulers are on a hook on the side of my cabinet where they are within reach of the cutting mat
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 AM

I went to our local thrift store and bought two record holders for 25 cents each and they work great.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by sooze
I went to our local thrift store and bought two record holders for 25 cents each and they work great.
Okay please bare with me but what is a record holder?