Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing rulers... >

Storing rulers...

Storing rulers...

Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 AM

A large O ring, hung on an S hook, works for me. Very little expenditure. Of course, I have a few with no holes at the top. They are stacked in an in-coming, out-going metal thing. Available at any Staples or Office Depot. Anyone still have toast racks? Would that work?

OOPS!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 AM

I have large rulers hanging on the walls of my sewing room and the small ones in the ruler holder I bought at Joann's.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
I have a peg board hung up and hang my rulers and my stencils on hooks from the peg board. Because I built a frame then attatched the peg board I have a ledge on top of the peg board to set my one ruler that doesn't have a hole for hanging.
The peg board also has hooks and hangers that I use to store my scissors, rotary cutters and other hangable items. Saves space.
This is what I'm planning on using as well.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 AM

I use letter holders/desk file holders that I pick up at garage sales very cheap. They work perfect all my rulers long or square.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 AM

I have a heavy wooden letter holder. I put them in it and place them in a woven straw tote (which stands up by its self). The height of the tote provides additional support. You can use scrap wood to fashion something like a letter holder. Just make sure it is heavy.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 AM

enjoyed this thread as need a storage solution for my rulers and really dont like any more on my table so will check out thrift stores. Do like the cabinet that is handmade.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 AM

Check out thrift stores. I found a little cabinet with slots on the side that were probably made for magazines but my rulers fit in nicely.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by My time
Does anyone have any good solutions for storing rulers? I don't want them packed away in a cupboard. I saw a ruler holder at the quilt store but it was $25 and that seemed pricey I'd like them to be handy and accessible.
I have a pegboard on the wall of my sewing room - just above my cutting table. It's very convenient and large enough that each ruler can hang alone if I want that. I also have room to put small stuff that gets lost in drawers. I just put the small things in ziplocs, punch a hanging hole in the ziploc and there they are: visible, out of the way, and accessible. The price is minimal at a hardware/Home Depot, etc., and they can be painted to match your decor.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by My time
Does anyone have any good solutions for storing rulers? I don't want them packed away in a cupboard. I saw a ruler holder at the quilt store but it was $25 and that seemed pricey I'd like them to be handy and accessible.
Well, here is the way I store mine.... One day I came across a 3-plate rack that I had packed away in a box that I still had partially open from our last move... I had a light bulb moment.. :shock: and thought "this can possibly be a rack for my rulers :-P !!"
So, this is what is hanging over my cutting table... works perfectly!!!
:thumbup:
Old 08-09-2011, 05:56 AM

I have 2 of the slotted ruler holder that I got at a quilt shop and my long rulers I put in a tall basket, I think the basket may have been made to store toilet tissues, not sure, but it's about 22 inches tall and 6" around, had to put weights in the bottom. My real small rulers, I put on a ring and s hook and hang them.