Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing starched quilt tops? >

Storing starched quilt tops?

Storing starched quilt tops?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:05 PM

I have stored pieces of starched fabric in airtight containers for a period of time and when I opened it they smelled awful. Had to wash them before I could use them. Won't do that anymore.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:09 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have been told that spray sizing does not have a bug problem (because it is non0organic) However, storing in any sealed container would probably prevent a problem anyway.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 PM

We used to put Bay Leaves in with our fabric that was starched. It worked!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by kitsykeel View Post
I have stored pieces of starched fabric in airtight containers for a period of time and when I opened it they smelled awful. Had to wash them before I could use them. Won't do that anymore.
This is common in warmer or wet climates. The person who started this thread is in the Netherlands, similar climate to the northern part of the midwest (US). Airtight tubs in a cool, dry place won't usually smell if everything placed in it is completely dry and it's not exposed to extreme temperature changes like an attic.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

I have tops that have been stored for years and have had no problems with bugs. I would tuck them into old pillow cases and put them on a top shelf of a closet.

Putting them in a plastic container can cause moisture problems because humidity can't escape.

Moth balls are another questionable item. They are very poisonous and smelly. They will discolor fabric and the odor my not come out.

have fun in your adventure with HH. Amazing
peace
Old 03-18-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have had zero bug problems with stored starch fabric in MN and WI, whose climate is similar to that of the Netherlands. The only time bugs are really a problem, I think, is when you live in a very hot and humid climate (perhaps Florida, the Virgin Islands, etc.).

Honestly, unless you've actually seen bugs in your house, I would just store the starched tops in a covered plastic tub and not worry about bugs.
Well silverfish are a definite problem here in New Hampshire...not even close to the climate of the Virgin Islands...getting into stored textiles as well as book bindings. It's one of the reasons I never use starch anymore.

I think if I had to store tops that had been starched, I'd gently rinse the starch out before storing them, and then restarch when I was ready to work on them again.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post

Putting them in a plastic container can cause moisture problems because humidity can't escape.
Maybe I'll put in a small cloth bag filled with rice - that's supposed to attract moisture and keep things dehumidified. Think that'll work?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I'd use a dessicant instead of rice. Dessicant is sold in the flower area of Walmart -- used for drying fresh flowers. It's also in the little packets inside shoes and pill containers. I'd be afraid that rice would attract bugs since it's food.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM

Here in the US you can purchase zip lock bags large enough to hold more than one quilt. I have used them for many items and never had any issue with the seal failing. Just make sure when you put any fiber item in them that the item is not coming from a humid envirnment as the moisture once sealed in .. will cause mildew problems if the humidity of the fibers is high enough.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Everyone has such great suggestions and different ideas. That's why I like this board!