Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Storm at Sea

Hello -

This is my 2nd post. I have found a lot of cool stuff on this board.

I'm wondering if anyone here has completed a "Storm at Sea?" I bought a template set and it looks like amateurs like us can finish one, but it is a lot of cutting and sewing. If you have one would you please post a pic and give a difficulty rating and tell me any tips or tricks you learned?

TIA

Darren

Sorry I haven't finish one, but I do have it on my to-do list. Where did you the templates?

Lynette

www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15/7453.page here is another posting of a finished one

That's a stunning pattern!

I especially love the blue and white one, the contrast is awesome.

Can I ask why this pattern is considered difficult?

I got it on ebay - this looks like the pattern but I don't think this is who I bought it from. My templates seem sturdy and durable.

Thanks for the pics. We have plenty on our plate for now, but I do want to do one of these quilts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STORM-AT-SEA-qui...3286.m20.l1116

Some links to a couple of places for a free pattern....the McCalls one is stunning.
    http://www.mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_206/
    http://www.quilt.com/Blocks/StormAtS...irections.html

If you go to www.Quilter'sCache.com she gives very good directions and levels of difficulty. It doesn't look impossible.

This is timely for me! I am glad someone asked! I have one started. I have had to put it aside to catch up on other WIPs. I found the pattern in a book. I'll get some pics posted when I get a little more of it together. The pattern I have has you make the large blocks then the diamond pieces and small squares are put in as sashing. I hope it works!!

The first time I made it, I used templates.

The next time, I used the rotary cutter and standard measurements to do everything but those diamond/rectangle sections. I used foundation piecing for those, and it worked really well.

Here is the link at Quilter's Cache. These are good directions compared to some I've seen, and the pics give you me ideas about layout. Sabrina's picture is the traditional layout/color combo that I've seen before, but the colors on the others are great too. Eugene's variation could be called "Peace in the Midst of the Storm," and I really like it. I want to do one that is more traditional, though. Probably with greens or teals/turquoises.

http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StormAtSeaBlock.html

Thanks for all the response so far.

2 Doods - I'm looking forward to your pics.

Cathe - we've done a test block by just cutting out around our acrylic templates with a rotary cutter. Is that what you did? Since all the pieces are parallelograms, you can cut strips, then cut the individual pieces. If you're making lots of blocks though I think you have to make left and right blocks. Is this how the templates are supposed to be used? We've never done or even seen demonstrated the paper piecing technique.

Darren

I made my "template" Storm at Sea before they had those acrylic sets. I just used cardboard templates and I think I hand pieced it. :lol:

But now, I wouldn't do the templates at all.

Those diamond/rectangle units are a PAIN to sew together. I can't stand sewing with those spikey triangles. :roll: Yes, the diamonds are easy to cut from a strip, but you still have to cut the triangles and the mirror-image triangles and sew it all together. Foundation piecing made it much easier. I don't do a lot of foundation piecing anymore, but this is one example of a perfect application for it!

I used standard measurements for all the other units - just used my rotary cutter and regular rulers.

For the paper (foundation) piecing techniques, look for a book by Carol Doak at your library. She has very good clear illustrations.

I am sure you will make a beautiful quilt with your templates! I only make these suggestions because I find them much easier - not "better." It sounds like you are doing the right thing - stack up a few layers of fabric and cut around the template with your rotary cutter. The only non-symmetrical piece is that spikey triangle, and you can get just leave your fabric folded in half to end up with equal numbers of the triangles and their mirror image pieces. It's one of my favorite patterns for a bed quilt, especially done in the traditional arrangement so that it makes "waves" across the pattern.