Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stowed Away or Loved to Death

I tell people who receive my quilts to use them, abuse them, wash them and wear them out. If they are left on the shelf, they self destruct in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mimee4
    I tell people who receive my quilts to use them, abuse them, wash them and wear them out. If they are left on the shelf, they self destruct in 5 years.
    Love that. I have to remember that one.

The nature of a quilt is to be used and loved. What greater honor could a quilter possibly have?

i most definitely want them used. the third quilt i made was for my youngest - it will soon need to be replaced - he is now old enough to choose his own fabrics so when i finish his two of his older sister's he will ge to go shopping with me - he's happy!

I want my quilts to be used. I make a lot of raffle quilts, so I don't know how they are being used, but I hope they are being USED! :lol:

Quilts have always been a part of my life. Growing up, all that covered our beds and warmed our sleep were hand made/ hand stitched quilts that my grandmother and great-grandmother made. I never knew there was such a thing as a blanket for many years. I still have one they made and a couple that my grandmother made. Grandma made each of the grandkids a quilt for graduation from high-school.. all of those have covered beds in my home from the last 20 to 40 years, one or two have been "loved to pieces" and have some disintegrating pieces, others are still intact and holding their own very well.. but if you come to my house to visit ..one of those quilts will grace your bed.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    Quilts have always been a part of my life. Growing up, all that covered our beds and warmed our sleep were hand made/ hand stitched quilts that my grandmother and great-grandmother made. I never knew there was such a thing as a blanket for many years. I still have one they made and a couple that my grandmother made. Grandma made each of the grandkids a quilt for graduation from high-school.. all of those have covered beds in my home from the last 20 to 40 years, one or two have been "loved to pieces" and have some disintegrating pieces, others are still intact and holding their own very well.. but if you come to my house to visit ..one of those quilts will grace your bed.
    Tippy, I'm on the next plane...! :D

K x

When I made baby quilts for my nephews. I expressed how much I wanted them used. I even hoped they might follow them to kindergarten. Now that they are big boys, their mom has put them away so they can have them for their babies, which I also appreciate. I always put in washing instructions, which helps preserve the quilts even though they are used. What good are they, if they are put up and go unseen and unappreciated. I use to be bad about putting things away people gave me because I was afraid something would happen to it. I finally came to the conclusion what a waste, people give you things to be enjoyed. I now use or display everything that I am given and hope everyone else does the same.

I too have a few quilt here at home the I made and have been loved to death by the kids, the dogs, the cats and me and DH. One has a hole I swear I can step through...lol
    Some I have made have been given as gifts and I have learned that some are used and some are used as decorations.

I made my Auntie a quilt with a florida beachy theme (she lives in kentucky but loves Florida) and it is on her bed during the day as a decoration quilt and at night it is folded up and put in the chair. I did tell her Auntie, sleep with the dern thing but she is scared to "mess it up" I did tell her well if it gets messed I can always make another one.

In my house the family knows if its drapped over a chair a couch or any where within reachable grabbing distance its fair snuggle game.

Lisa

Blog Entries
    Several years ago I made a quilt for an elderly friend who had watched me make several quilts for others. She kept teasing me and asking when I was going to make a quilt for her. She loved looking through my Q books, and she kept going back to one watercolor quilt in particular that she had seen me working on as a wedding quilt for a young friend. I was handquilting another one with that design when she asked 'When are you going to make one for me?' I took the last stitch and said,'This one's for you.' She was speechless. She slept under it until she passed away - even insisted on having it in Hospice. She was a dear, dear friend, and I miss her. Her family keeps it on her bed to this day.

I have a Lof Cabin quilt made by my grandmother...given to me for my high school graduation. It's not currently being used, because the edges are fraying from lots of use. My plan is to bind the edges with a cream-and lavender binding and put it to use again. (Lavender was my grandmother's favorite color...and should look really different with all the colors in the Log Cabin blocks!) I have other quilts also from my mother, and they are still being used. If they fall apart, I'll always have warm memories of the beloved maker.

Jojo

pal
    This thread turned out to be a joy to read. Lovely memories and
    very special thoughts. I especially liked hearing about littlehud's quilt and Joanne's friend. Makes me proud to be a quilter.

I want the quilts that I make to be loved and used. When I give a baby quilt I always attach a little note or tell the mom that this is NOT an heirloom quilt. It is made with love to be loved. That baby can pee, puke, and poo all over it. All she needs to do it throw it in the washer and dryer and it's good to go again.

The first quilt I made (1995) is used daily. It's draped on the back of my recliner and anyone who needs a wrap can pick it up and use it. That's the quilt we throw on the floor when a baby falls asleep. It's been a tent and a picnic quilt. The binding is getting thread bare. I wish I had kept a piece to re-bind when the time comes.

I hope loved to death!

I too, have a quilt that my Grandmother made for Rich and I. She made it in her favorite pattern....9-Patch. The front is made of polyester fabric and she backed it with flannel. The flannel is starting to fray. Those frayed spots show that the quilt has been loved. When it gets too bad I will replace the flannel and continue snuggling up under the quilt that Grandma lovingly made just for us.

An idea for quilts that are beyond repair. I worked part-time for a woman who owned a antique store. We would take old worn out quilts and salvage the good spots. We would cut small blocks, stars, hearts, ovals, etc. out of the salvaged pieces. We sewed pairs together and then stuffed to make small pillows. She placed these small pillows in wooden bowls, antique wooden boxes, etc. and sat them around the store. You would be surprised how many of those we sold to people for decorations.

We also made small pincushions, doll quilts, potholders, and framed some of the pieces. We also did this with hankies, linens and old clothing.

There are so many things you can do to recycle old quilts that some might think are useless and need to be thrown out.

Blog Entries
    When my girls baby blankets became ragety, I made them into teddy bears.
    After the girls grew up, they still have their bears and their girlfriends want teddy bears too.

Quote Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
    There are so many things you can do to recycle old quilts that some might think are useless and need to be thrown out.
    I inherited a VERY worn out quilt from my grandmother that was so threadbare I knew we could never use it at all--so I made a "thread-bear" from it!! (see pic below)

I am of the "love it to death" state of mind. I am lucky enough to have 5 quilts that my grandmother made and I put them on the beds for my granddaughters to sleep under--what memories we are making!!!

I have made quilts for each of my children and my grandchildren. They LOVE them and they USE them. I love to see my granddaughters snuggling on the sofa under their quilts watching TV, or having a picnic on it in the living room on a rainy day. The only quilts I have made that ever get tucked away are seasonal ones that come out for the holidays.

Katelyn, Emily and Madison on their last sleep over---cozy under their great-great grandmother's quilts!!
    Name:  Attachment-31598.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  14.5 KB

"Thread Bear"
    Name:  Attachment-31599.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  10.6 KB

What a wonderful idea. They can still cuddle the bears and remember the quilts they loved.

Blog Entries
    that is so sweet.

Marcia,
    how do you import pictures?

I have 5 or 6 WIPs, but have only completed 6 quilts and given them all to my adult children. As far as I know, my daughters use theirs regularly, but my son has stored his away ... to keep it "new"; I would much prefer that he use it. I like my quilts to be loved and used. If not used, at least displayed. Packed away out of sight is a waste, in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    exactly. I have probably given away 60 quilts as gifts. Nothing makes me fell better than to walk into someone's home and see one of my quilts, wheather on the bed the sofa or on a rack.

We have always put this poem on a card with quilts donated to shelters, orphanages, etc -

It's OK if you sit on your quilt.
    It's OK if your bottle gets spilt.
    If you swallow some air
    and you burp, don't despair;
    It's OK if you spit on your quilt.

There are scraps old and new on your quilt.
    Put together for you on your quilt.
    If your gums feel numb
    'Cause your teeth haven't come,
    it's OK if you chew on your quilt.
    We expect you to lie on your quilt.
    If you hurt, you may cry on your quilt.
    On a cold rainy night,
    Don't you fret; you're all right.
    You'll be snug, warm and dry on your quilt.

I DO NOT plan to make any wall hangings or fold any quilts up in acid free boxes and paper. We sleep under quilts. Quilts are used to snuggle up under to watch a movie in the winter. They are taken to the beach for the baby to crawl around on. Recently on a very wonderful spring day, I threw one on the grass in the back yard and kept our grandson outside most of the day where he had a wonderful day watching for birds, pulling grass and putting it in his mouth, pulling up to a chair or toy and falling down without having to hit a hard tile floor.

Blog Entries
    that's nice cathe.
    I have a little poem i put on most of mine, it goes;

The best sleep neath heaven above,
    Is under a quilt, handmade with love.

I would love to have my quilts loved to death, but knowing my sister she'll put them away for what reason I don't know. I've told her and told her use the stuff I make for you. She got 5 or 6 afghans I crocheted for her put away not sure why, she says so her children will remember me if they can't remember me without my work who cares.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast