Straight Stitch Plate? >

Straight Stitch Plate?

Straight Stitch Plate?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 AM

I think I definitely need one!

I am on my way to the sewing store.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 AM

I bought one for my machine a year ago and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Love it when piecing.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Suz

Yes. By all means, get one. When I do machine embroidery it works well. Infact the instructor suggests using one.

I also like using it in piecing. Just remember you have it in place when you select a stitch with width. My machine has a warning selection to use when this plate is on. It will not allow a width stitch. BUT, if I forget and select a zigzag, you can be sure I will bust a needle.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM

I use one also -- I have an option to select the plate I'm using so even if I try to change the width of a stitch it won't stitch into the plate. It is a matter of habit to select the option.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM

I like mine, too. When I have it on the machine, I tape a small note over the buttons I would use to zig-zag to remind myself NOT to change the width! (Hubby calls this a "Memory Aid". I'm at the age where I seem to need them. Lol!!!)
Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM

I have an older Bernina 1630 and have both the wide hole and single hole stitch plates - I love using the straight stitch plate - use it every time I piece or when using finicky fabric. I agree that it was well worth the investment

There is a technique that you can use if you are having trouble at the beginning of sewing with fabric bunching, thread pulling or if the fabric edge is being pulled into the feed dogs. - can be used also if your first few stitches on the end are not staying straight and are pulling
The remedy is to use a small scrap of fabric as a "leader"
1) you straight stitch across your scrap first before you begin your block
2) when you get to the edge of the scrap fabric (leader) place your fabric pieces of your block with a small space next to the leader and sew off the leader edge onto your block without stopping - similar to chain piecing - the fabric will stitch over the feed dogs from the leader and continue on to your block pieces without any problems and you just snip off the leader scrap fabric
- when you do this the beginning stress/tension of stitching is on the fabric scrap and not on your pieces - if doing triangles or very small pieces they will not bunch up or be pulled down into the hole

- hope I explained this ok - the beginning of this video shows using a leader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTBPjlm1_44
Old 04-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Yes yes yes! Just remember if you want to move the needle over or do a fancy stitch you better remember which plate is on the machine!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:42 PM

I have both. I've also seen lots of times those who put little pieces of fabric thru the machine first to prevent this. I also saw where you can put a piece of scrap fusible interfacing under the fabric to stop this.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 PM

A single hole throat plate is well worth the money. Each machine I have has one. I usually got one heavily discounted when I bought a new machine.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM

I had one and never used it until recently - WOW did it make a difference! I now am sold - use is all the time for piecing.