Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Straightening grain of fabric - Help! >
  • Straightening grain of fabric - Help!

• Straightening grain of fabric - Help!

Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Rob, I also remember that machine. You ran the fabric fold through to measure it, then kind of hit the top of it to start the cut. Except plaids, which I remember being cut single, right along the thread line.

Nonetheless, we still would pull a thread get the grain of the width, then checked to see if the warp and weft were perpendicular, then pulled it on grain if needed. And Mom made us out a new fold into the fabric if it wasn’t exactly in the middle.
    Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by indymta
    I'm sorry to be confused by this but could someone explain why ripping the fabric is helpful for large backings. Don't
    you still have to line up the fabric to make sure there aren't any wrinkles (that it is straight)or are you folding the fabric
    with the sides matching of what you just ripped and you cut from there?
    If fabric is ripped, it tears on the straight of grain. By that I mean it rips along one grain (between two horizontal thread lines) of the fabric.

Fabric is woven with 1/2 of the threads going horizontal and 1/2 vertical. If you are able to line it up so that the crosswise thread are at 90 degrees to the length wise threads, then your fabric is "straight", which is a perfect scenario.

Most all the methods that are described are attempting to straighten fabric so that the vertical and horizontal threads are at 90 degrees to each other.

bkay
    Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb
    Rob, I also remember that machine. You ran the fabric fold through to measure it, then kind of hit the top of it to start the cut. Except plaids, which I remember being cut single, right along the thread line.

Nonetheless, we still would pull a thread get the grain of the width, then checked to see if the warp and weft were perpendicular, then pulled it on grain if needed. And Mom made us out a new fold into the fabric if it wasn’t exactly in the middle.

Yes, my Mom did that for all the fabric she purchased, I’d forgotten about making the new fold after pulling the thread and straightening....

thanks for remindng me how that machine worked...

Rob