Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strategy for cutting fabric for scrap quilts >

Strategy for cutting fabric for scrap quilts

Strategy for cutting fabric for scrap quilts

Old 05-27-2016, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
... I've come to the conclusion that I should cut a fat 6" strip of each fabric, then cut the few squares and triangles I need for a project out of that strip. That means the original yardage isn't sliced into a billion different sizes of strips where Murphy's Law requires that few or none seem to be the right size for the projects I want to work on in the future. ...

I think this is the best strategy, but I always doubt myself.

So I'm wondering. What strategies have you all come up with for rotary cutting for scrappy quilts from new fabrics where you don't need much of each fabric, need a whole lot of different fabrics, but want to keep the original fabric yardage intact as much as possible to enable future use?
I think this is an excellent strategy, especially if you're doing applique or something where you really won't use a strip the entire width of the fabric. Your leftovers are then all the same width, so easy to store, and most of your yardage remains intact.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:33 PM

I think you are on the right track TeresaA. I like to leave as big a whole piece as possible and also do scrappy designs.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:44 PM

I agree with the 6" strip since it works pretty well for a lot of pieces. I also find myself cutting the 9" strips (fat quarter size) or 12" strips of my "filler" fabrics. That way I can cut sashing or plain blocks to go with my pieced blocks (I like making 12" blocks). I too hate leaving weird sized pieces on my main fabric.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:57 PM

I thought the whole purpose of scrappy quilts was to use scraps--not to use previously uncut yardage
Old 05-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

I think the sometimes "scrappy" just means using many different fabrics in one quilt.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:57 AM

My fabric storage method:
I put 3 yds or greater on fabric boards, 1-3 yds on comic book boards, fat qtrs to 1/2 yds on fat qtr boards, and then any thing smaller than a fat quarter is scrap. Scraps I cut into 5" charm squares, or 2 1/2 ' squares or or strips/strings for string blocks depending on the size and configuration of the scrap.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:07 AM

TheresaA, I think your strategy is a good one. Most of my quilts are what I'd consider controlled scrappy quilts. They have a definite scrappiness, but in a controlled color range. For this reason, when I pull fabric for a project, I look at all my fabrics as options. Most of what I purchase for fabric now is either 1/2 yard cuts from SR Harris fabric warehouse, or remnant cuts from the clearance section at my LQS. Anything less than a 6" cut gets stored in my scrap bins(sorted by color) and the rest is integrated into my drawers of ruler folded fabrics, also by color.)

Your 6 inch cut would be perfect for scrap bins, rather then refolding them with the main yardage... This will save you the trouble of pulling, and unfolding your yardage the next time you need some of that fabric.
Good luck with your sorting.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

I keep odds and ends in a drawer and draw from it when I need it and cut what I need. I never kno9w what my next quilt pattern will be.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:54 AM

I personally think the 6" scrap cut might work for you. I'm not a big fan of Bonnie Hunter's scrap quilts or her ideas for cutting all those pieces of fabric into little bitty pieces, I like bigger pieces. I have thought about the same thing you have and figured out that I like larger pieces to work with. I thought about cutting a 10" piece off each of my fabrics because I have some books with patterns that start with a 10" piece of fabric. Like you, I don't want just one chunk out of my fabric, I prefer it cut neatly and evenly. I haven't started this yet as I have some other projects to do first around the house, but I think you can cut your fabric the size that works for you. I have a very nice section of scrap fabric that is all FQ size, give or take, and I will also start a 10" pile. Go for it, no quilt/fabric police here.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of scraps that aren't certain size strips. Those are mostly squared at the corners. Sure as shootin' if I cut them into certain size strips, I would need something wider. I have them sorted by color. I have the smallest size scrap on top of the bunch/pile in the clear container. That way I know the rest are bigger. The smallest size is noted with a sticky note and pinned. It's 3"x3". I can tell the much bigger sizes because I fold them as I put them into the box. Some of the scraps are as wide as the box.