Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strengthening a Bag >

Strengthening a Bag

Strengthening a Bag

Old 08-14-2017, 08:56 AM

When I make totes, I use what ever cotton I want and use decor bond interfacing in it.i then make a matching or coordinating lining. Missouri Star Quilt Co has a good tote bag tutorial. They use a jelly roll, but you can use yardage and make it any size you like. 3 big bags from one jelly roll.

Last edited by Patchworkbarb; 08-14-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by bjgallent View Post
I like to fuse fleece onto the back side of the outer fabric. Bags seem strong enough.
I think that would be strong enough, too. Is there such a thing as fusible fleece? Or do you use that double-sided fusible to attach it?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
What you could do - make the body of the bag of something durable like denim - and then use the "more fun" fabrics as pockets or trim on the outside of the bag.
This is a great idea. I could put pockets between the webbing/handles on both sides. It wouldn't even be hard, and the fabric I have in mind goes with the canvas I have - big bonus for not having to go and buy anything!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
When I made my tote with the pet mesh, you use it for the whole bag but piece the cotton onto it in some places, so it makes a strong bag. Here is a link that shows the supply list for it, and you can see they don't use any interfacing or batting. https://www.google.ca/search?q=tote+...TZ8GDgC-zeDGM:
I haven't seen this before, and it looks really cool ... I can see grocery bags, beach bags, pet carriers ... I have some nylon screen mesh left over from replacing some screens, which I think would work just as well as the vinyl. This is like a whole new world of bags.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:12 AM

I've used my husband old jeans for lining for tote bags. Then you can use your pretty fabrics for the outside. The denim heavy weight and makes a nice sturdy bag. You don't have to use any interfacing either! You will probably need to use a jeans needle to sew it as its pretty tough and tightly woven.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
I have made a particular bag a few times with canvas, and I want to make the same bag with one of my cotton prints, but I am worried it might not be strong enough. Is there a good way to strengthen the bag? I was thinking of ironing on some fusible interfacing, but was wondering if that would be weird to have that as the inside of the bag. Using two layers of fabric might work, but I’m not sure how hard that would be to work with since it would mean I would be sewing four layers of fabric together.
I use Pellon Shape-Flex, it's fusible and woven and gives a lot of support without adding bulk. Pellon als makes a fusible fleece and I've also used the decor bond as someone else mentioned. I usually get mine at JoAnn's with a coupon.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:41 PM

If your bag has a box (rectangular) bottom a piece of 1/4 masonite or luan, etc. cut slightly smaller, wrapped with self or contrasting fabric and just laid in the bottom would be strengthening since the straps go around.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:14 PM

I've used canvas as the lining for a tote bag and cottons for the exterior, it came out very nicely (and sturdy).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]578873[/ATTACH]

I did forget to put pockets in the lining of this one but added them on the outside. lol
Attached Thumbnails tote3interior.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

i would definitely use an interfacing and a lining. you can quilt just the top two layers, add pockets to the lining, then assemble.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

this is my recent bot tuck Just Threads and modified mini Bow Tuck