Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: String priceing

String priceing

I was looking at some past threads about priceing on adding machine paper. In one of the post, At said not to use thermal paper. Can anyone tail more about why not?
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Power Poster
    I think it might have something to do with ease of tearing away the paper after piecing. I think the thermal has a bit of plastic to it and may be tough to peel out of the fabric without ripping the stitching?

Blog Entries
    Thermal paper prints with heat. If you piece on it, and press it with an iron, it may transfer the ink to the fabric. If you don't use an iron, it would be OK, but making these crumb type blocks does work best if you press as you go.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

hard to get off and because of its makeup the print sets on top of the paper and can be transferred.
    I have 6 rolls of adding machine tape from the 'olden days' At first I thought it wouldn't be wide enough
    but I've even cut the results in half for one quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I had forgotten about doing that.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I do the piecing onto strips of pre-washed muslin. That way nothing has to be removed.

String Piecing

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I was looking at some past threads about priceing on adding machine paper. In one of the post, At said not to use thermal paper. Can anyone tail more about why not?
    The best foundation I have found for my string piecing are the papers that are used in a deli. They can be found a Sam's under $10 for 500 sheets. Shorten your stitch length and stitch away. My second choice is grade school paper tablet, found at the Dollar Store. It's easier to remove but not as stable and sometimes the paper comes off before you finish the block. Have fun stitching!