Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilt Technique >

String Quilt Technique

String Quilt Technique

Old 03-09-2021, 05:57 AM

I have used whatever I have on hand. I have used coffee filters as a paper foundation (then eventually cut square), and I also use my "ugly" fabric that I don't want to use for anything visible! like the others said, I'm sure the foundation is due to the bias. I find that using the foundation is much faster though. I feel more freedom for not having to perfectly line things up. but then again, I do my strings kinda wonky to get that advantage, too.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:57 AM

I use newsprint. Made a large one as my DH requested it, sewed on muslin. It is too heavy for us to have on the bed. Will make a great picnic quilt. Now I am making a large one using newsprint that I will tear off. Just had surgery for cataracts, this is something I can do as it doesn't have to be perfect. A couple of years ago, I made 14 lap string quits for grands, kids ad DH
Old 03-09-2021, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

When my youngest son was in college he worked in the bakery dept at a large grocery store. I bought some sheets of that thin baking wrapping paper and it makes a great foundation. You might try that.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:30 AM

Another foundation "product" that I use is the really cheap wrapping paper rolls from the dollar store. Check the labels and buy the one with the most square footage. Bonus using the wrapping paper: there is a printed 1" square grid on the backside of the paper which I have found to be accurate.

Other things I've used as foundations: muslin (makes quilts very heavy), old sheets (most of mine are not 100% cotton so I tend not to use them), interfacing, tissue paper, phone book pages, scribble pad pages and coloring book pages (both dollar store items), but mostly I use copier (computer printer) paper. It is heavier than a lot of the other foundations, but since I stitch with a short stitch length (1.8), the paper removes easily.

Yes, people are correct when they say the foundations stabilize the bias edges.

One last thought: I prefer not to use dryer sheets for two reasons: (1) they are polyester (yes I know interfacing is polyester, too) and (2) I don't like the residual scent (even with unscented ones there seems to be a chemical scent left).
Old 03-09-2021, 07:20 AM

I've never used foundation for string blocks. But I have no problem with bias, and that does give many a lot of grief. My belief is most of that is due to how well a particular machine feeds. I sew on a straight stitch machine with a narrow foot, so it feed very well.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:34 AM

I haven't made any string quilts, but have thought about doing it and using the brown paper found in the Box and moving section of Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. They are large sheets, about 2 ft square and feel similar to newsprint but with a bit more structure. Would appreciate your thoughts.

And then I looked it up and found it was white and the size is 30" x 24". I am pretty sure it's the same stuff that Hobby Lobby uses to wrap breakables at checkout. I thought that $10.00 for 100 sheets would be a pretty good buy. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-3...g-Supplies_LIA

I even thought about trying it on my light box for tracing a Paper Pieced pattern. I don't like regular copy paper because it is so thick.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 03-09-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:44 AM

I use Cotton Voile for my base. It is very light...almost like organza...and doesn't add hardly any weight to the quilt.
It's about $5.00 a yard. Be sure to get Cotton voile, not a mix of Cotton and Polyester.

Watson
Old 03-09-2021, 08:25 AM

Watson, where do you purchase your cotton voile?
Old 03-09-2021, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

When someone asks me why it's necessary to sew to a foundation when I sew strip blocks I always say make a few blocks without the foundation and some with and see if the difference then choose. Over the years I have used every type of foundation. Now I use Missouri Star 10" square foundation papers. They are cheap, pre cut with various markings to help if needed, and tear out easily. Also I can stack enough for a lifetime on one small spot on a shelf.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
I'm doing that also. So glad to know that someone else does "mindless sewing" .
Oh man, I LOVE mindless sewing! I learned about that from Rayna Gilman, who accurately calls it "therapy sewing". In her book she talks about how she would, when exhausted, just sew pleasing strips together into strip sets, threw them all in a drawer until she had tons, then designed up on the design wall with them.

Other fave therapy sewing things I do:
-sewing light squares/scraps together as leaders and enders to make scrap quilts
-sewing up sheets of triangle papers (I use the Triangulations DVD files from Bearpaw Quilting) to create a fund of HST's, also fab for designing up on the wall
-making wonky stars from my scrap bins, using the scraps for the rays, and a white or low volume white for the sky....you can vary the sizes for a more interesting quilt and none of the seams have to be straight!