Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String quilts >

String quilts

String quilts

Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Everyone's ideas of how to do a string quilt seem practical.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I sew string quilts with the backing and batting all at the same time. Then all I have to do is sew the blocks together, turn and sew down the seams on the back and the quilt is done.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Default How does this look when done?

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I sew string quilts with the backing and batting all at the same time. Then all I have to do is sew the blocks together, turn and sew down the seams on the back and the quilt is done.
I'd like to see how that is done and what it looks like. Sounds interesting. Do you have a picture of one that is done like that? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Bonnie Hunter's string quilts are gorgeous because they aren't just strings. Some of them incorporate other patterns. I use doodle pads to sew on as they tear very easily and give structure to the blocks. I also mostly use 1 - 1 1/2" strings. Like lots of different strings. I get my strings from evening up my fabric for strips I need. Instead of just evening up I make my strings about 3/4 to 1". We are doing a red string block swap on Quiltville swap and the blocks are 5 1/2" to be used in Bonnie's pattern Talkin' Turkey. In my 5 1/2" block I am using between 8 - 10 strings. Bonnie's Jamestown Landing used gorgeous neutral string blocks.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM

I think I saw one of Bonnie's method where she just sewed strips together until she could cut a 17" square. Then she would put two together like she was going to make half square triangles - cut across then sew those together. I think she even made some with quarter square triangles. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how she did that but it's soooo simple and looks really complex.