Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilts >

String Quilts

String Quilts

Old 01-14-2015, 05:26 PM

Thank you all for your input, advice, pictures, videos. It is helping me tremendously. I think I understand just pulling a string and sewing. I just wasn't sure if I could liberate myself from cutting the strings all the same size. I think I'm going to try to basically use them at whatever size they are right now and see how it goes. I think I am going to piece them on muslin. I live in Florida and I think that this is one quilt that I am not going to use batting in between. I've seen on different blogs that you don't necessarily have to use batting every time. So this whole quilt is going to be one huge trial and error experience. Hopefully it will all work out okay.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 PM

I found a great quilt tutorial on quilt as you go. It's a video by Leah Day. It really makes joining the blocks look easy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_lwOfZWM8 I might try putting my blocks together like this.

I am also looking for a quilt as you go video that doesn't have sashing. I found this book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607059010/...I1KJR8RRL9B2D5
I hope this works. It's a book by Jera Brandvig. I would like to see it in person though.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
There's a good tutorial on this board for a quilt as you go version:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...lt-t60764.html

Good Tute! WHAT HAPPENED TO DITTER????? I miss her
Old 01-15-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
I found a great quilt tutorial on quilt as you go. It's a video by Leah Day. It really makes joining the blocks look easy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_lwOfZWM8 I might try putting my blocks together like this.

I am also looking for a quilt as you go video that doesn't have sashing. I found this book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1607059010/...I1KJR8RRL9B2D5
I hope this works. It's a book by Jera Brandvig. I would like to see it in person though.
Did you buy the book from amazon? Do you mean to see a real quilt or a pic done with this method? Maybe your LQS might be able to help you.....
Old 01-15-2015, 06:28 AM
shy

Depends on if u want a random look or a more control look..I also have to have the material matching..but usually we pick the same sort of material when we buy..so u well be surprise how most of it matches.I like to have the center piece larger..but I also like to mix up the angle they are used..some I have done all at a corner to corner angle..others straight..really they are just fun to play with.after they are finish ..they never stay here very long as my family really likes all the color ..also I have made one with the larger strips in the rag style..it turnout well..just have fun..for the back..if I want a size before I start..use old sheets cut to the size square u want..sew the material to the block as u go..u can use a lite batting when u do this..or none at all if u want a lite cover..
Old 01-15-2015, 07:01 AM

Check out www.maryquilts.com She has lots of free string quilt patterns and good tutorial
Old 01-15-2015, 08:37 AM

Thank you all for the links to tutorials. I especially like the one by Ditter.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 AM

No, I didn't buy the book in person yet. Sorry, I guess I really didn't complete my thought on this. I meant to say, I would really like to see the book in person. I want to know that it has the information that I am truly looking for. When I have a bit more time, I will be researching the quilt as you go books to see if they have the info and technique I'm looking for. Loved the video on joining quilted sections though that I posted a link too.

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Did you buy the book from amazon? Do you mean to see a real quilt or a pic done with this method? Maybe your LQS might be able to help you.....
Old 01-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

To me, the prettiest string quilts are the ones where there is a solid color, usually white in about a 2" - 2 1/2" strip, then you attach the fabrics in the various widths to either side. You don't cut the strips first, just use random size strips and personally, I haven't seen an ugly one yet.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 PM

Default Update....:)

Well, I took in everyone's advice and I thank you all. I started my string quilt. I am using just about everything I have in the scrap bin. With the exception of the "I hate it fabric." Which at times, I still will pull a piece every now and then and use it. I am using a center 1 1/2" wide white center strip. I really feel it does enhance my strips. But, who knows, I may someday do another one without the center white strip. I am really enjoying using those scraps. But, lord, it doesn't look like I've used ANY from that particular drawer. lol

I just put them down there, no particular order. But, I did space out the browns and blacks through out the quilt.