Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strings - how many do you use? >

Strings - how many do you use?

Strings - how many do you use?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:24 AM

Default Strings - how many do you use?

I'd like to just putter this weekend and thought using up some of my strings would be a good way to do it.

Looking at blocks in various string quilts, do you have a favorite amount of strings for each block? I've seen quilts with 6, 7, 8, or more.

Would it matter, really, to have some with odd amounts in there (i.e. not all blocks with the same number of strings) once I put the quilt together?

Or does it look more "even" if each block has the same number.
?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I did the Boxes of Strings and I used all different widths and numbers in each block. With that pattern it was more important to have then divided into lights and darks.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

I am collecting my strings right now. When I did a quilt before it did not matter how many strings I used but the strings would be 1-2 1/2 inches wide, no smaller no larger. As I was going I tried to grab some fat strips and then a narrow strip.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:46 AM

I just finished the String Me Along top. The pattern called for a uniform center for each block, but after that you could use any width I wanted between 1" and 1 3/4". No set number of strings per block.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:41 AM

No set number. Part of the fun of making string quilts is the randomness of choice. I found for my personality and "design esthetic," if you will, that I preferred the center strips to be uniform, and for the center trianges that come together be close in size. So I guess I tried to control the size of the end pieces. OTher than that, I tried to vary the strip widths and colors. I also kept everything cool. I don't like mixing warm and cool colors. Also remember that black will grab the most attention, so use it judiciously. Decide the skinniest and widest strips you would like to see finished, and then add 1/2". I like 1-2.25 best.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Red, I like varying the width of my strings and don't tend to use anything over 2.25" wide.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]598700[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]598701[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails string-baby2.jpg   string-baby1.jpg  
Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I tend to agree with having a more or less uniform center strip - if doing diagonal units like Faintly Artistic has done - and then having the "corner pieces" about the same size.

After doing a few units - you might want to lay them out and see how you like the distribution of the colors you are using. In the string quilt I made, it was the "electric blue" that caught my eye more than any other color.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Timely topic, Red!
I reached out for instructions on making a string quilt. Well I made about 6 blocks and love doing them!
I used different widths and my blocks are 8 inches. That was a good size because I just finished a large quilt
and had lengths leftover.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:29 AM

I also like to keep the center uniform by keeping empty the center 2" of a block of an 8" square of muslin. Once the strips are laid against my pencilled line, the center becomes a 1-1/2" strip. I've never done it, but I think the foundation squares would look lovely in a solid color too.
Oh - and the strips in my stash are of varying widths and I sew them on randomly.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I just put on strings until the foundation is covered!