Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strip Quilting >

Strip Quilting

Strip Quilting

Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 AM

I agree with what has already been said, but thought you may want to try cutting a few bias strips and sew them together to see which YOU prefer. Unless you use a foundation, or startch the heck out of them, I would think you may want to go back to stright of grain.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Gotcha! Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
You should have looked even more horrified that she thought she had the right to pass judgment on your work. Do it whatever way you want. If you don't like how it turned out, do it different next time. That's how the rest of us learned (including the rude woman you encountered).
I agree
Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Hmmm - sounds to me as if that lady wanted you to think she knows more than she really knows about quilting. If she "really" knew what she was talking about, she would have complimented your creativity instead of being critical. There are exceptions to every rule in quilting... otherwise, there would be no creativity and it would be no fun anymore. If you are happy with it, then it's perfect!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM

I just sewed strips together, ironed and cut to a 12" square then basted to my batting and backing for the hand quilting. I was so proud because I knew these blocks would be exactly 12" square.
Each little block was so pretty, but when I sewed 4 of them tog to make the giant square, it really got on my nerves. That's when I had the thought to make black/white strips/sashing to go around the big blocks. It's strange, but for some reason it does seem to stabilize everything and makes it less annoying. My son said he would see if he could do a picture (when It is done) and if quilt turns out to be not too awful, I'll post it. Thanks for your input. I obviously need all the help I can get.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM

First of all remember that we all quilt for our own reasons. One of mine is to be able to create something I cannot go buy in a store. As time goes on I try different things, some come out good others not so much.

Don't let anybody discourage you. Have fun! Remember that your creation is YOURS and rules are for sissies. Remember that there have been some wonderful creations that were thought to be mistakes because they did not follow the "rules".

To me quilting is kind of like raising my daughter. I listened to all the advise that everybody had and decided what to follow. My daughter graduated University 3 weeks after her 21st birthday with a degree in cell biology and neuroscience. She is taking a year off before going to grad school so she can go cure cancer. Guess my approach worked with her.

I cut strips for the body of a quilt or binding by the width of the fabric (because that is how they sell jelly rolls and I assumed there had to be a reason) If I am cutting for border strips I cut by the length of the fabric if I am cutting from a piece that is 1 1/2 yards or more long because I will have less strips to sew together.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:31 PM

I use those fabrics I really dont like or that are too thin, etc for the backing of the square, and sew the stripes to that. I do find that it makes a heavier quilt, with that extra layer of fabric.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM

So you are thinking outside the box ... and if it looks fine to you, great.
It is usually the person that can't even sew on a button, that makes the
worst comments about another's quilt projects.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
Ok, so the question I have is did you use any foundation with your strips? You can use paper (I started out with newspaper as I was taught by an 80 yr old who learned from her mother). You can use magazine pages cut to size. I now use old white cotton sheets. The foundation keeps the blocks stable to prevent stretching as all the edges are bias. If you are happy with your first string quilt, don't let anyone discourage you. It's all a learning process and each time you will get better and better. My theory is if you don't make a mistake how can you learn the right way.
My Mom taught me to paper piece with Mongery Wards catalog pages :lol: that's the way she did scrap quilting. when I say scrap, it was any peace of fabric big enough to have the seam allowance and still show a strip of fabric in the block. I started sewing those strips together for her on a singer treddle machine. when not in use my sister and I rocked our dolls with the treddle. fond memories.. Keep quilting it's one of the Threads of life
Old 10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Oh! Please post a pic of your quilt so we can all see what terrified another quilter. This woman was way out of line in her response to your quilt. People seem to forget where they started. My quilting fairy GM is at this moment going after her for a good rebuffing and has also sprinkled some special concoction over you so you will not use this one incedent to cloud the rest of your happy quilting years. The best part is that I'm not the only one with a quilting fairy GM. :thumbup:
peace