Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Strip Stick

Has anyone used the Strip Stick? If so, do you like it? (It is supposed to help in pressing seams open or to one side.)

Blog Entries
    I have no idea what this is

Blog Entries
    Welcome from MI.
    Are you talking about the wood thingy that you use to press seams similar to this one?
    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ight+handed.do

Then, Yes, I have one, use it and like it alot.
    I use it to press shorter seams, then press with an iron when I'm done piecing the whole block. Just straight seams, though. I seem to stretch diagonals too much.

The website is: www.thestripstick.com/products and you can view a video there.

Nope, it isn't like that. Believe it or not, I'm originally from MI! Davison to be exact, and I can't get back often enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen
    The website is: www.thestripstick.com/products and you can view a video there.
    thanks for the link. the site says it is also known as Pressing Bar. i have a set. i don't use them much, but when it is needed, it is a godsend.

Thanks for the input.

I just bought one at a local quilt show. I saw it a couple of months ago at another and waited and thought about it. I bought it 2 weeks ago and yeah it does help. I am in a wheelchair and have a hard time getting my material arranged on the board and not messing up what I just pressed. With the stick it isolates the seam and allows me to work on just the area I want. If you are pressing a seam open it is great too.

I bought a package deal with 2 sticks (18" & 45") and a Seams Sew Fast Guide for $29.95 http://thestripstick.com/

Blog Entries
    i have a wooden roller one. like the wallpaper seam pressers that are plastic with a handle, but mine is rounded/convex.
    either one would work fine though.

Blog Entries
    Nope, it isn't like that. Believe it or not, I'm originally from MI! Davison to be exact, and I can't get back often enough.
    My brother lives in Davison! Welcome

Blog Entries
    Me either!
    Quote Originally Posted by feffertim

Blog Entries
    I'm in Almont, just down the road...
    thanks for the link, I haven't seen this. I've just been using my tailor's seam roll.

Blog Entries
    DH made 3 pressing bars for me from one 1" dowel. He ripped a 36" dowel in half. Left one at 36" and cut the other 24" & 12". Drilled a hole in each and I hung them on my wall.

They are invaluable when pressing open a seam in any fabric that would show an imprint. Iron only touches at the top of the rounded part.

Short one very handy for pressing pillow seams as it can be put inside & moved around.

Thanks so much for the information!

Heck save yourself some money and just use a yard stick.

Blog Entries
    I have a dowel cut in half on the length of it too. Works really well and I think I paid $2.00 for it. It looks like these that they sell have a muslin cover on them. I may make a cover for mine!

I just made some of these myself... purchased an 8' length of cove trim at Lowe's for $11 and change... cut 4 18" strips and 2 12" strips. Cove round doesn't need to be sliced like a dowel does. I just used a mitre box and hand saw. Took me less than 30 minutes to cut and sand the pieces. CONSIDERABLY less than the pre-made ones. More $$$ for fabric!

Blog Entries
    an updated streamlined pressing ham of the days of yore. it seems as if this would be a good diy project. i can see making a muslin tube, over stuffing it and sticking a dowel in the middle.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I have both sticks and love them. The Seams so Fast guide was a rip off. Didn't like it at all and would not recommend it.
    Linda

We glued 2 pieces of quarter round together to make ours. Makes a nice flat area on top for pressing but still raises it above other pressed seams. Made them in 3 sizes.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    We glued 2 pieces of quarter round together to make ours. Makes a nice flat area on top for pressing but still raises it above other pressed seams. Made them in 3 sizes.
    Silver Needle, using two pieces of quarter round together came to mind immediately upon seeing the video. What kind of glue did you use? I was think of making a tube cover for it out of the shiny ironing board fabric in an attempt to divert the steam. I used that on my homemade "big board" underneath a piece of felted wool.

Years ago, our tailoring instructor taught us to roll Time Magazines together and cover with muslin to make our seam rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
    Me neither! One good thing about this board... it exposes me to quilting things I never would hear of otherwise!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I had the whole set and the long one disappeared during the last move. I really like it for pressing strip sets. You don't have to worry about which end you sew the strips from. Since you can order from the website I'll be replacing the long Strip Stick.

I do have this and love it, but we made our own with half round from Lowes and then a piece of batting and muslin to cover it. Made several for my friends as gifts.

I saw this demonstrated at a quilt show. Seems to work great. I just didn't feel like I needed it at the time but I'm on a gadget trip lately and maybe now I need it! haha. Sorry though, I can't help you. I've never actually used one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast