Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strip Tube book

Blog Entries
    I had to go to a dental checkup yesterday so I had to treat myself for going with a smile although I hated to go.

I got the book and the ruler.

I know tube quilts are a favorite for many here. Anyone have the book or ruler? I know a regular ruler can be used but I was already buying the book so may as well get the ruler too.

:D
    Attached Images Attached Images

No I just use a reg ruller........... but I sure like the pattern on the front of the book.

I have the book and the ruler. Anyone could use the ruler without the book although there are a few different patterns in the book that are created by just cutting your strips in different widths. Here's a photo of one quilt I made using the ruler. I found the pattern on the web and it said to use a piece of cardboard to cut the pieces, but I used the ruler and it worked out great.

Landrys Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-2666.jpe
Views: 307
Size:  65.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Super nice quilt! Thanks for posting the picture. The ruler looks like it will be mindless to use and I won't have to look at measurements with each cut. I like mindless with no math.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Super nice quilt! Thanks for posting the picture. The ruler looks like it will be mindless to use and I won't have to look at measurements with each cut. I like mindless with no math.
    Mindless is good on those days when I'm not thinking straight!!

I also bought the book and ruler months ago. Just now getting ready to make something with a Bali Pop pack of fabric. Can't wait to start. :lol:

i have the book ruler and a couple of patterns

Those look like so much fun. I can't wait to try one.

Blog Entries
    :oops: Didn't know there was a book... gee thanks for adding another item to my wish list :hunf: LOL

Now you gotta let us know if you like the book....and Congrats on going to the dentist with a smile!! (I hate to go and usually take myself screaming and kicking.....)

Dentist's and me do not get along. I've been scared of them all my life, mainly because I NEVER went as a child in the 50's and 60's. Parents didn't think it was necessary I guess. But going in with a smile is good, having a great book to drool over is even better. I'll try to find one. I have a ruler that looks just like yours.

Blog Entries
    Not having good dental care as a child, I have suffered for it as an adult. Oh well, at least a nice pretty teeth are easy to get these days if you don't have them to start with.

I've not heard of Strip Tubing but sounds like something I need to check into. Cookiej36, I love your quilt using this method.

Blog Entries
    Watch this video. You don't need the special ruler.

http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com...tube-quilting/

This is a great online quilt shop, check out the daily deals there.

Blog Entries
    OMG....I have never heard of tube quilting before..I Love It!!

Thank you,
    Mish :0)

Cookiej36 - what website did you find that pattern? It is adorable. Did you use a jelly roll from a line of fabric or just use what you in your stash?

Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    I've not heard of Strip Tubing but sounds like something I need to check into. Cookiej36, I love your quilt using this method.
    I made the quilt using this tutorial for "Easy Double Hourglass Blocks". I doubted the easy part, but went ahead anyway! She used a piece of heavy paper to cut the strips, but I had just bought the ruler and decided to use it instead. I was very pleased with it because for once in my life all (and I mean ALL) the points and seams matched perfectly after cutting and sewing the blocks together! The lady who wrote the tutorial was right, this was the EASY way to make a double hourglass! http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2009/09...ocks-easy.html

I think I need to have that book. I watched the video on Utube. They have some great ones there.

Thank you! I love her blog - she has some great ideas and has made some beautiful quilts.

There's a good video by Billie Lauder on QuiltersTV. Sorry, I don't know how to add the link. If you brouse the video list it's #8 Ulitimate Scrap Four Patch. She show the tube method and it's really easy.

Quote Originally Posted by quilton
    Cookiej36 - what website did you find that pattern? It is adorable. Did you use a jelly roll from a line of fabric or just use what you in your stash?
    Quilton: Sorry, I didn't answer all of your questions. I wanted to make a quilt for my new grandson, and was looking for something not too babyish! I bought several fat quarters mostly from the Happy Campers line. I don't remember what the exact measurements ended up being(probably about 40 X 50 inches), but needless to say, I probably have enough fabric leftover to make another baby quilt! I believe I cut the strips to measure 1.5 inches. I played around with the pattern trying to get the look I wanted. I have attached a photo of the fabric I used for the backing. I believe it was Henry Glass fabric.

Also, having used the ruler and the patterns included in the book for another quilt, I cut the strips 2.5 inches as directed and I think the strips in the finished block are a little too large for my taste! So I think if I make that pattern again, I will adjust the strip size down to about 2 inches.

All in all, I have really enjoyed the tool and used it more than I thought I would when I bought it.

Landrys Quilt Back
    Name:  Attachment-5588.jpe
Views: 81
Size:  49.7 KB

Please tell me where I can get your pattern.
    Patchwork Patty

Bellaboo, it was interesting to hear your message about the strip tube book and ruler. I have the ruler but not the book. What is neat is that Daniela of Cozy Quilts invented the ruler etc. I took my beginning quilt classes at her shop. She is the creator of the Strip Club. I used to go to the demo once a month. You'd get a free pattern. She would also have jelly rolls of the fabric used in the pattern you could buy. I still have many projects I haven't started yet. She is also the gal who got MODA interested,and then they started making the jelly rolls. You would love going to the demo, she is a fun person and they also have sharing. I don't go as often, am trying to use what I have and finish UFOS. Have fun using your ruler !!! It is a nice reward for enduring the dentist !!! Take care, Sunflower Sue

Blog Entries
    look at this for pics of the strip tube blocks. just a different ruler but you can use a regular square ruler also.
    http://www.wondercutruler.com/string.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast