Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Strip Tube Ruler

Blog Entries

Smile Strip Tube Ruler

I have been looking at the strip tube ruler. I do have a 60 degree triangle ruler, the big one that goes to 12 inches, but it is definitely not the same shape as the strip tube ruler. Now I am a total gadget, template person so if anyone has used the strip tube ruler please tell me if you like it and how much you use it. It appears my 60 degree triangle ruler may not work or it might, I sure don't know.
    Thank you
    Evelyn

Blog Entries
    Your 60 degree triangle ruler won't work for tube quilts. You need half of a square. Jenny Doan uses the 45 degree line on her square ruler. Check out the tutes at Missouri Star.

I have the Strip Tube ruler. I've made several quilts with it. I love it. It's like magic. Let's see if I remember how it works since its been a while.

You sew 2 strips together, then sew another 2 together and place them face to face, nesting them. Sew them together on each side to make a tube. Then use the ruler to cut out triangles and voila! you have a square with the 4 strips in it.

Now that I've typed that I realize that's how I make HST with my Eleanor Burns quilt in a day ruler. So much quicker than other methods.

I got the Strip Tube book with my ruler, but that's because I took a class with it.

I've used the strip tube ruler several times. I'm not a big gadget user, but found this simple and adaptable. I quite like it, having made the HST quilt in my avatar with it.

Blog Entries
    I bought it and the book and I love it! I do love "school supplies" and seem to bring home a lot of useful tools when I go to a quilt show. The ruler makes it so easy and so much fun.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I bought the book and ruler. It's much easier on my brain to use the strip tube ruler. I like having the ruler made for the pattern if available.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyCS View Post
    I've used the strip tube ruler several times. I'm not a big gadget user, but found this simple and adaptable. I quite like it, having made the HST quilt in my avatar with it.
    Would you mind telling me how you use it for HST or directing me to a tut that would show the process?

****Should of looked first-found directions on The Quilting Gypsy! Thanks for mentioning it!!
    Last edited by Susann; 12-28-2014 at 12:51 PM.

The strip ruler makes HSTs. Just use solid fabrics instead of sewing strips. The website has video and a great size chart.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I love my strip tube ruler and have made a few quilts with it. Best part is once you get the hang of it it's easy to create your own effects by the width of fabrics and such. .
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Easy to do. The measurements come with the ruler and tell you how big to make the strips (two) depending on how big you want the HST. I fyou can't find it in your ruler, message me and I will look it up for you.

I bought mine recently before Xmas on sale on eBay and I love it. A lot of the donation fabrics are now coming in wider strips. I made this quilt top for charity. Can't wait to decide what my next design will be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Missouri Quilts has a you tube video about it and she uses a regular ruler.
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

I love it and have many quilts using it. I have the book and a couple of stand alone patterns for it. This one will be going to a shelter for battered women.
    Attached Images Attached Images