Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stroll down memory lane

Thank you Darren for taking us with you down memory lane:)
    Beautiful memories.
    Please post pictures of your blocks, scaps and quilts when you have them made.

Great story! It's amazing how these scents can open up a world of memories of our loved ones. I've had two special aunts who have passed away and "left their scents behind." I used to always love to visit their homes. It was something about being in that home with them. Let's just say I loved the way they smelled. Well, when they passed away there were no children to share their belongings, but many nieces and nephews. When the homes were opened for us, we all selected items that reminded us of them. Even today as I walk into one of our homes, I smell a familiar scent. A few weeks ago I walked into my daughter's living room and told her, "I think Aunt Maude is here." She pointed to one of her items. It still had the scent of her home. So Darren, thanks for the memories.

very nice memory.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful! Thanks for sharing,I love to hear about memories like this.It brings back memories I cherish also. Maybe more of us can find the time to share our quilty memories. I have 2 quilts from my grandmother. Never saw her work on them, but remember seeing parts of them now and then. She kept them in a closet when not working on them. I am making the memories I hope my grandchildren will cherish. I am teaching two of them to quilt and they are included in my quilt group. One started at 9 years. The second one, not to be out done, started when she was about 4 yrs by helping to pull the needle through on my first hand quilted quilt on a frame. I had to get her started on her own little project. {I have since bought them both a Janome sew mini- they are 13yrs and 9yrs now}Now the youngest, 19 mo, plays with fabric, sits on my lap when I sew, and generally loves to play in my sewing room while I am in there. I am blessed to be home to watch them while Mom and Dad work and school is out. I really miss them when they start school.

Darren, what a lovely story. This is something that you should print out and save for your kids to read someday.
    Let me tell you what I've been doing. A few weeks ago at my Sunday school class one of my friend told me she gave her sister in law my name. She was looking for someone to quilt for her. Since I have a machine I do quilting for the public. Once I called her she told me that she had two tops her mother has made for a long time since the woman died 18 years ago. I told her to wash the top and I'd meet her at Hancock we would need to border them to make them bigger. This top was a scrappy block with numerous colors.
    I must admit it tuned out very pretty and I know this womans granddaughter will be proud.

Regina

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing your memories, Darren. I learned to sew at my grandmother's knee and I think of her every time at sit down at my machine or pick up needle & thread. She was my rock and I miss her every day.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    Darren, thank you so much for sharing. It made me feel good to read it.
    Beautiful thoughts.

Oh, how I wish you were my grandson! When my two sons died, I took their shirts and made quilts out of them for my 3 grandchildren (the sons' children). They were all very young when they received them.....9, 3, & 5.....Not much interest in the quilts then or now....when they are 20, 15, & 12. I don't know if they even know where they are. So, to hear someone such as yourself cherish what granny made and the memories is just so awesome to me. I know she is smiling!

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: sniff sniff! What a beautiful story. That is wonderful both you and your wife like to quilt.

i hope when i'm gone, my grandkids are as joyous and respectful of the leftovers i leave in my studio. your grammy is looking down and smiling, how wonderful to be remembered like that.

Thanks again everyone. I honestly thought most of you would take one look at that huge post and say "Oops! No time for that!" and click back as fast as you could. I thought maybe a few would read it all because they have their own memories. I'm glad to know someone appreciated my thoughts.

I didn't press anything tonight. It will probably be the weekend before I get back in the sewing room, but I'll start by posting pics of some of the fabrics.

Darren

I can relate to your ramblings. My mother recently found a quilt that my grandmother made and she gave it to me. It is my link to my grandmother. 8-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I was afraid the long post would turn people off, but I did want to share the thoughts that came to me while I worked.

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can make with the scraps, and I'm sort of excited that Kimberly wants to continue the DWR quilt. I will post again when I start cutting. Right now I still have a basket and a half of scraps to press. That may take til I'm 50.

Darren
    Wish I could go back to being 50 ! hee hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I was afraid the long post would turn people off, but I did want to share the thoughts that came to me while I worked.

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can make with the scraps, and I'm sort of excited that Kimberly wants to continue the DWR quilt. I will post again when I start cutting. Right now I still have a basket and a half of scraps to press. That may take til I'm 50.

Darren
    I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but there is a foundation with the DWR printed on it. You attach the strips and pieces to it. We have it at our LQS. My DSIL has made many double wedding rings with that foundation system, and it will help your older fabric hold together with less stress at the seams. Plus, for beginners, it makes the process more achievable.

Thanks for sharing your loving memories. I know how much I love and cherish my grandchildren and I hope when I am gone they feel that way about me.

Margie

Your memories brought tears to my eyes, it is so wonderful that will do something with her fabric pieces and I'm sure she
    will be watching and smiling with pride. You where and still are a sweet grandson to her.

south east ND. 60 miles from MN and 25 from SD
    What a touching tribute to the women in your life. Your quilt will be a great source of comfort, it will be like having their arms around you.

Your post made my eyes tear up at the same time my mouth smiled.

Blog Entries
    Darren, you're a dear!

What a wonderful post, thanks for sharing with us.

Quote Originally Posted by cande
    What a touching tribute to the women in your life. Your quilt will be a great source of comfort, it will be like having their arms around you.

Your post made my eyes tear up at the same time my mouth smiled.
    my eyes teared too.

The first quilts I made for my grandchildren incorporated fabrics that I had been accumulating for many years. Some had been shirts, blouses, aprons, curtains, etc. from my mother, grand mother and my own children's clothing when they were young. With each quilt, I enclosed a letter indicating were each of those treasured fabrics had come from so, even when the quilt became threadbare, they would still have a link to the past.
    You indeed have a treasure and I am sure you and your wife will do them proud. Good luck to you in keeping those memories alive in whatever keepsakes you make.

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story.

What a wonderful story---you write so well I could almost smell your papaw's pipe too!

This is so endearing to read, darin. Your story brought tears to my eyes and many memories streamed in about my grandmother's quilts.

I hope you share your quilt blocks as you put it all together. We would like to see all those lovely pieces come together into your treasured memory quilt.

When I read a story, so many times, especially if it is very descriptive, I am right "there".
    You have that gift of pen, or type, lol ;)
    Thank you for taking us all on your stroll. It was lovely to hear all about your granny and the fabrics and your aunts, grandpa's pipe...everything.
    You made it so real for us.
    I was so hoping for a while that you were going to say you found the quilt in amongst the fabrics, but maybe you could ask your mom if you could take a picture of it, and even though it will have wear, maybe one day, it will still be yours.
    When you and your wife make one, just know that one of your children or grandchildren is going to feel the same way about it :-D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast