Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuck!!! >

Stuck!!!

Stuck!!!

Old 02-27-2019, 08:12 PM

You have three seams so I would guess your seams are 1/8" or just a dab over a 1/4 inch seam. Easy fix to take out and resew. Good that you found out at the beginning.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:24 AM

Check your machine settings to be sure the needle is in Center position. Some machines have settings to the Left or Right needle position.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:00 AM

I'm thinking Rhonda is probably on target, check the needle position.

It's good to find out early how small differences can add up. Each seam is twice the issue. A quilt can very quickly get larger or smaller than planned.

There are all sorts of guides/feet you can get to help. For a long time I used one of my son's fancy bandages (it had stars and stuff on it), I took a piece of graph paper and stuck the needle on the marking, made it straight and then put the bandage on the machine at the marking, about 2 inches down from the needle, the little pad of the bandaid helped guide/keep the fabric in place.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kathleen61 View Post
My only other thought is I recently started using a new 1/4 foot. Could that be it?
Thanks in advance!!
I think this is likely where your problem comes from. Grab your scraps and see if you need to adjust your needle setting to get the 1/4 or scant 1/4 inch seam.

Also, welcome to the quilt board!
Old 02-28-2019, 08:07 AM

I agree with everyone-the width should be 4.5". I am wondering about how you are ironing your strips. Sometimes I get a distorted size when I push the iron across the fabrics. Maybe if you just iron up and down. So sorry you are frustrated. I sometimes just walk away or put up the problem fabrics for the day and the next morning everything seems to work out. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

pressing seams open helps with the "fold" taking up any extra. I did it with denim strips.
Attached Thumbnails p2270107.jpg  
Old 02-28-2019, 11:24 AM

Default Unstuck!!

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
pressing seams open helps with the "fold" taking up any extra. I did it with denim strips.
Thank you to all of you!! I found the problem! I had somehow moved my needle left! Ugh!! Unfortunately I had finished all of the strips and was starting to assemble the quilt. Now trying to decide if I want to start tearing out or start fresh!
Thank you again!!
Old 03-01-2019, 05:53 AM

If everything else will fit with what you have already done, IMHO I would just assemble the quilt as is....
Old 03-01-2019, 08:46 AM

for practice, try using paper, even graph paper so you can check before you "waste" any more fabric. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
If everything else will fit with what you have already done, IMHO I would just assemble the quilt as is....
I agree with btiny36. If you can make a useable block from the pieces you now have, continuing with it as is would be less demoralizing. You might want an extra border or wider border to compensate because the quilt will be considerably smaller than planned. Your time and sanity are worth something, and taking out that many stitches would not be easy. Perhaps you can get replacement fabric to redo the quilt you started and just use the odd blocks in a different way. One time I was given a stack of blocks by another quilter who had made a similar mistake. These rail blocks were rectangles instead of squares. I paired them with another fabric from my stash and made a quilt with alternating rectangular blocks instead of squares. I had fun making it. The pinwheels were from my friend's fabric from her same project. Welcome to QB!
Attached Thumbnails tulip_quilt_done_021518.jpg