Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuffed Applique? >

Stuffed Applique?

Stuffed Applique?

Old 06-23-2016, 06:50 PM

Default Stuffed Applique?

Is there such a thing as stuffed applique? I'm making Kathy McNeil 's cardinal block from her Audubon Christmas quilt after attending a workshop with Prairie Quilter's Guild in Wichita. Her birds are appliqued flat, as is normal, but now that I'm applying the birds to the background I feel I want to put a small amount of poly stuffing in them. I tried it on the first ones and like it, but I'm just wondering if this is a normal technique for applique. Is it crazy or cool?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

It is called trapunto. Traditionally the applique was stitched down and a small slit was cut in the backing, a little stuffing was put behind the applique and the slip was hand sewn shut. Nowadays it can be done by stitching the applique to the background, place a piece of batt behind the backing and machine outline stitch around the applique. The extra batt is trimmed away and the the quikt is sandwiched as usual. if you google the term trapunto or check YouTube there should be done more information on the method.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:08 PM

I was taught to use a piece of cheap cheese cloth for the back, sew around the bird the way you want it, then take the Hallmark yarn, (triple cord like), separate the cords, use a large needle with a big eye, fold a small piece of paper with the yarn inside to thread your needle. Then take the needle and pull the yarn thru, side to side, cut the yarn and take the back of the needle to push the yarn in, then draw the second pull thru and continue until you have it stuffed the way you like it. If you have a red cardinal, you could use red yarn, etc.
There is another way where you have a fabric on the back, sew around it, then cut the a hole in the back and stuff it, then sewing the hole shut. I have done both methods and the Hallmark yarn is much easier and is nice and soft.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:44 PM

trapunto is a beautiful technique.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:12 PM

Yes, I've done that with fiber fill. I like it better with yarn, but lack the patience for all the times you have to feed the yarn though. I really love doing true trapunto better than the faux trapunto that has become so popular recently. You can get puffier results & don't need to quilt the living daylights out of the background to create the illusion that one extra layer of batting makes it really puffy. They are both beautiful options, but my clear preference is to actually stuff the applique.

So excited to see your final result! Hope you post pictures!!!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:42 PM

Instead of stuffing with filler you could put a piece of batting behind and the trim this to size.then put wholebattng across as normal.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Instead of stuffing with filler you could put a piece of batting behind and the trim this to size.then put wholebattng across as normal.
This is what I do. Turns out beautifully. Just enough "puff" to make a difference, and won't shift like stuffing tends to do!
Old 06-24-2016, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

The technique is called trapunto which you use a layer or two of cotton batting. Read about it because there are certain techniques you should know about such as wash away thread.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:58 AM

I cut the 1" thick poly batting the same shape as the appliqué piece, position both on the background & sew all around with a satin stitch. I use that method on most of my baby quilts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552736[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3001.jpg