Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Submitting a design to quilt magazines >

Submitting a design to quilt magazines

Submitting a design to quilt magazines

Old 06-06-2016, 05:37 PM

Default Submitting a design to quilt magazines

Someone suggested that I should submit a wall hanging design that I made to a quilting magazine. I have a few questions that maybe someone on this list can answer:
1. Do they pay for submitting designs?
2. Should I copyright the design before I submit it, or can it be copied by someone if it's not copyrighted?
3. Which magazines are the best for submitting designs?
4. Do I need to have a resume of show quilts and classes taught in order to get accepted, or will they base acceptance on the quality of the design?
4. Any other comments/warnings/etc. that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2016, 06:13 PM

I don't have any answers to your questions, so I'm going to sit and watch this thread. I would like to create a pattern to be sold in quilt shops. Your replies will probably apply to that as well.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:40 PM

I can't answer all of your questions but I do remember that Quiltmaker magazine encouraged quilters to send them their designs and if the pattern was published the designer was given $100. I'm not sure if this is still being done, you would have to contact the magazine.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:46 PM
Power Poster

Different publications have different ( answers) to all of your questions. Each one has information listed ( or a link to visit) for submission requirements/ guidelines, etc. so, start with magazines you are interested in and see what their requirements and policies are.
some ( hold) the rights to the pattern, some allow you to keep the rights. I ( think) most offer some sort of compensation. Sometimes it is only free subscriptions, the publicity, and possible sales of your ( kits).... Sore pay you for the pattern, then they choose how / if it will be featured ... Some require the actual finished quilt be sent in for their own photo shoot. I've never heard of you needing ( proof of show quilts or anything like that as a requirement)
pthe biggest rule is make sure it is Original, really yours. Well written and tested. Check that there are no typos, grammar errors, the math is right, the cutting , diagrams, illustrations, are all easy to understand and accurate.
Some magazines have you submit your ( proposed ) project & picture of tested quilt then they have people who actually write the pattern.... Like I said in the beginning....there are lots of ways & lots of different publications. Start with your favorites that carry patterns are compliment your style, type of quilt you plan to submit.
I know TQPM ( The Quilt Pattern Magazine) is looking for new submissions right now.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

It takes a tremendous time to get your quilt pattern into the LQS. When I would go to Quilt Market, there would be a few new designers trying to sell their patterns individually. I would always stop and chat with them because hardly anyone stopped at their booth. I would certainly have a website or Esty set up with your company name before you submitted any patterns so that you could have that information for quilters to be able to find you on the web. Also maybe try selling your pattern on Craftsy would be idea for you. Doesn't hurt to check into that too. I agree with ckcowl to make sure your pattern is 100% accurate and the instruction are clear. Good Luck!
Old 06-08-2016, 05:00 AM

Yes, Copyright it!

Once your pattern(s) is correct, easy to follow, clear and concise instructions and illustrations ....make sure that your pattern cover looks professional. Nothing turns a shop off is a sub par unattractive pattern cover. Examples of top notch pattern covers are by Lazy Girl, Mountain Peek, shabby Fabrics, etc. Visit your quilt shops and you will see this demonstrated. The first visual impression is key. It has to capture attention. Looks do matter.

You have to market the heck out of your pattern! Facebook, Etsy, word of mouth, visit Guilds, quilt shows, etc.etc. I would make a few samples out of the pattern and visit local quilt shops. Perhaps offer to loan the shop a sample with an opening order of 6 patterns or more. Shops love to have "exclusive" products to offer their customers. Do you teach classes?

You have a lot of marketing and leg work to launch a pattern. It is up to you to market and promote your product.

Best of luck!

sandy
Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 AM

Copyright it before you do anything else.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

All you have to do is post a picture of your quilt on Facebook quilting groups. You will have quilters asking what is that pattern where do I get it. Have a link where the pattern can be purchased from you. Either on Facebook or Etsy or Craftsy. I know many who have sold hundreds of their original patterns by posting it on Facebook. They don't even think of sending to magazines, too much hassle.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I think it would be best to check out individual magazines and find out what their criteria is for submissions. There should be something in the magazine to give you this information.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
All you have to do is post a picture of your quilt on Facebook quilting groups. You will have quilters asking what is that pattern where do I get it. Have a link where the pattern can be purchased from you. Either on Facebook or Etsy or Craftsy. I know many who have sold hundreds of their original patterns by posting it on Facebook. They don't even think of sending to magazines, too much hassle.
Problem with putting it out there on social media is it opens the door for anyone/ everyone to copy/ steal it. Seldom is there anything you can do about it. It's considered by many as ( public property) once it hits Facebook or Pinterest. I've even seen members here on our beloved board state they feel they have the right to copy a pattern even if copyrighted if that is where they've seen it. Then, they claim it as their own & possibly sell it/ publish it benefiting from Your design.