Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Substitute "Slider"  - wha'cha think?? >

Substitute "Slider" - wha'cha think??

Substitute "Slider" - wha'cha think??

Old 10-17-2011, 04:46 PM

I think you have a good point there Alicat. It wouldn't hurt to check before using the vinyl. Also vinyl is "grabby" with static. Teflon is not "grabby" at all. Before plunking down $25 it would be good to see if you can borrow a slider to try or have them let you try it at the shop. You are the only one who can really judge whether you think it makes a difference and whether it is worth it for you.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM

A shower curtain liner would not work for me - not heavy enough. My yard of heavy vinyl from JoAnn's has helped immensely. It is slick and stays in place with no tape or anything.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:59 PM

I just bought the teflon oven liner but haven't tried it yet. It wasn't very inexpensive but it is bigger than the small supreme slider but about the same price.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:04 PM

My clear vinyl from Hobby Lobby clings to the sewing machine and sewing table. I had not experienced static as a problem. My machine has been in for annual cleaning and has had no problems. I love my $2.97 vinyl that was already cut and in a clearance bin. It covers the sewing table and the flat part of the sewing machine. I cut out the opening over the plate under the presser foot.
I love my vinyl.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM

Wal-Mart has the vinyl...Heard some quilters use it too..
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM

A few weeks ago while DH & I were at the gro. store, (OK so I was with DH while he bought gro.) & I saw the Press & Seal. Well I remembered that I had seen something about it on the board about it but couldn't remember what. We bought some & it has become indispensable in the kitchen, yet I still couldn't remember what I had read about it. hmmmm
Fast forward to this thread today & i suddenly remembered that it was mentioned as a substitute for the supreme slider. I just went into the kitchen, grabbed it & tried it out with a practice sandwich. It was slippery & did make my FMQing better. (It isn't very good to start with.) I don't know how well the slider works but this is slippery.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dublb
A few weeks ago while DH & I were at the gro. store, (OK so I was with DH while he bought gro.) & I saw the Press & Seal. Well I remembered that I had seen something about it on the board about it but couldn't remember what. We bought some & it has become indispensable in the kitchen, yet I still couldn't remember what I had read about it. hmmmm
Fast forward to this thread today & i suddenly remembered that it was mentioned as a substitute for the supreme slider. I just went into the kitchen, grabbed it & tried it out with a practice sandwich. It was slippery & did make my FMQing better. (It isn't very good to start with.) I don't know how well the slider works but this is slippery.
Press and seal is also used to transfer FMQ patterns onto the quilt top using Pounce or a similiar powder!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Originally Posted by dublb
Press and seal is also used to transfer FMQ patterns onto the quilt top using Pounce or a similiar powder!
Awe some!!! :thumbup: Thanks!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 PM

I bought vinyl at Jo-Ann's yesterday. Will let you all know how it works out.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 PM

You could also try Pledge, it gives the sewing bed a slick surface. Tinker