Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestion for Needle-Turn Appliquers >

Suggestion for Needle-Turn Appliquers

Suggestion for Needle-Turn Appliquers

Old 07-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Suz

Default Suggestion for Needle-Turn Appliquers

While using the template/starch method of preparing leaves for applique, I was turning the bottom tip up and then turning the sides with the edge of my iron. BUT when my leaves have not been prepared with the iron/starch, I stitch to the point, take an extra stitch at the tip to secure, lift the edge and trim away any excess from the underside and then start tucking in the second side.

So yesterday, I had an aha moment!!! Why not stitch the "unprepared" leaf the same way I prepare with the iron/starch? Sooooo, I stitch to within 1/2" of the tip, turn down at the tip, tuck under the right edge and stitch to the tip, take the second stitch, trim the second side, tuck and stitch. It was so easy. At first it was a little awkward but now it is working out great.

Appliquers - please let me know if you have tried this new method (to me anyhow) and let me know how you like it.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I don't applique that often but a friend who does learn a trick about stitching from underneath but near the edge so her stitches don't show.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:55 PM

I started doing that after taking a class with Karen Buckley. I do needle turn and this method works well for me.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Yes, this is how I do it too. I always work just a few stitches before the point where I will turn and doing my points this way works very well and is so easy! Glad you found what works for you.