Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions for how to quilt hand-embroidered blocks? >

suggestions for how to quilt hand-embroidered blocks?

suggestions for how to quilt hand-embroidered blocks?

Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Your mother has a talent! Those are stunning!!

To show off a center I prefer a star-burst design or a cross hatch rather than echo quilting. To me, echoing detracts from the design if more than a single or double echo.

Perhaps "frame" each one in a heart or diamond shape with star burst straight lines, then between each shape either cross-hatch, stiple, or some other simple filler that is more dense to make the shape with the embroidery pop out.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
echo quilting would make the embroideries 'pop'- so a couple lines of echo- then filler stippling would be very nice.....
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
I would go for the echo stitching around the flowers and work out to stippleing in the color of the back ground. what ever you come up with will be great. GOOD LUCK.
This is my first instinct too, thanks!

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Use the batt that allows for quilting 10 inches apart. I would then outline the embroidery in a thread matching the background. Once they were outlined it is up to you if you put any more quilting in the blocks.
Good point about the low-quilting batt - I hadn't thought of that, and it will certainly simplify things. I really don't want to take the focus off Mum's work!

Originally Posted by Grandma Bonnie View Post
No help but just wanted to say congratulations to your Mum for doing such beautiful work and trying something new at an advanced age. Would love to see it when you finish it.
Thank you on behalf of my Mum! She has claimed for years to be the unartistic and uncreative member of the family - NOT! I will definitely post a pic when it is all done.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Your mother has a talent! Those are stunning!!

To show off a center I prefer a star-burst design or a cross hatch rather than echo quilting. To me, echoing detracts from the design if more than a single or double echo.

Perhaps "frame" each one in a heart or diamond shape with star burst straight lines, then between each shape either cross-hatch, stiple, or some other simple filler that is more dense to make the shape with the embroidery pop out.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think (knowing my Mum's tastes) that I will probably stay away from straight lines as much as possible - I've already got way more than I wanted with the sashing and borders, and if the individual embroidery pieces had been uniform in size originally I would have appliqued them on in oval or freeform shapes to avoid the rigidity of the sashing. I love the idea of a starburst pattern, though, and I will definitely use that in a future project.

I appreciate your thoughts, y'all!

Alison
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM

She does beautiful work! Others have the same suggestions for quilting that I do. Your quilt will certainly be a work of art..
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 PM

I would do echo quilting all the way to the sashing on these...no stippling mixed with echo. If you do 1/4" echos all the way out to the sashing, it will look like ripples on a pond. She does gorgeous work!