Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions to make quilt guilds more positive. >

Suggestions to make quilt guilds more positive.

Suggestions to make quilt guilds more positive.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:53 PM

I found my sit and sew group by typing Quilt guilds orlando. It was not a guild, but the lady had a website..I sent her a note telling her a little about me and she invited me to visit the group. I loved it first day and have been with the group for about 4.5 years. We meet at one of our homes and mainly do hand work. We cannot handle more than 12 at our home so we keep the number small. I have learned more from this group than I can imagine. I also belong to a small guild (about 50 member) that is very friendly and enjoyable. It is not an official guild either.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 PM

For starters, guilds need to be open to men, too. (Yes, here I go again. :) ) My local county guild specifically prohibits men from joining (it's actually written into their bylaws), so yeah, that's a sticking point with me.

In the statewide guild that I'm in, they are very accepting and open to any and all comers. How refreshing! They actually appointed me to a committee chair position (Sponsors) as well. Since then, I have acquired 4 new paying sponsors for the guild, which brings in newsletter advertising revenue for us.

But anyway, I would just say to be as welcoming as you can to newcomers, because all people are nervous to some extent when meeting new people. Making the extra effort to to extend the little niceties to people makes a large difference.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 PM

I will second the idea of creating a meeting time in the evening so that working quilters can be involved too. Also find a way to get the word out that you are having this evening meeting time so that people will actually come!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
my negative experiences have been:
although a very large group...very 'clique-ie' if you aren't part of the original group (or one of their...protoge's) you are not hardly acknowledged...at show and tell these people always set up front...and if you are not part of their (group) they totally ignore you and talk rudely to each other while you are trying to show your accomplishment...then if the next person is one of theirs they get quiet and ooh & ahhhh...
although i have been quilting for quite awhile and belong to 2 different sewing/quilting groups who also take part in the guild i was never treated as if i belonged walking through their 'sacred doors' so i decided to no longer waste my money on their dues or waste my time showing up to be treated poorly...i can accomplish all of the same things, swaps, donation projects ect here on the forum and with the small groups where i do belong.
Good for you, I wouldn't be part of a group like that either. A couple years ago I was at a luncheon and the people at the same table I was seated were talking about types of RV's they had owned or own. This one lady who thinks she is some sort of mover and shaker in that commuity talked about the camping trailer that she and her husband have. I mentioned the brand my hubby and I have. She looks at me, "Oh, you can't join our club because we only allow "Brand X RV's". I return her "look" and said that I have no plans to join any camping club. She comes right back with, "You can't join ours". The other ladies at the table are looking at her and I could tell they were surprised at what they just heard. Mrs. High & Mighty just thought she was royal or something. Yep, it takes all kinds to make the world go around, my Gram used to say that.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
For starters, guilds need to be open to men, too. (Yes, here I go again. :) ) My local county guild specifically prohibits men from joining (it's actually written into their bylaws), so yeah, that's a sticking point with me.

In the statewide guild that I'm in, they are very accepting and open to any and all comers. How refreshing! They actually appointed me to a committee chair position (Sponsors) as well. Since then, I have acquired 4 new paying sponsors for the guild, which brings in newsletter advertising revenue for us.

But anyway, I would just say to be as welcoming as you can to newcomers, because all people are nervous to some extent when meeting new people. Making the extra effort to to extend the little niceties to people makes a large difference.

Wow! I thought all that was behind us. I don't ask or look for differences except in how we quilt. Even then I am willing to learn more. Color is only important in the material we use for our quilts and quilts don't have to be gender or ethnic specific.

I am sure glad my guild welcomes the men among us. Thanks for the reminder.

Hopefully, anyone who attends such a restrictive guild will help t hem rewrite their ByLaws and move into the present century.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:58 AM

Minda, I wish I were in PA. I'd join your group.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 AM

Your group sounds ideal! Congratulations on being with a wonderful group of ladies.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 AM

We have name tags at our guild. If we didn't I would be so embarrassed because I am really bad with names. I agree with all you have said and will also take the information to my quild. This is a great group of people whom I enjoy!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Zoe

Originally Posted by Minda
Let's try and keep everything on this thread positive with positive suggestions. There are many, many threads started already to post negative thoughts about quilt groups. I'm hoping this thread will help people involved with guilds be able to post suggestions on how they make new members feel welcome.
Hi Minda, I like your positive attitude and that is precisely what is needed at guild meetings. In the military and in the Foreign Service, someone is asked to be a newcomer's mentor, if you will. If a newcomer is shy, this friend can then introduce her/him to the others, and answer any questions the new person might have.

Here's another one of my stories from when we were newly posted to North Africa. We always seemed to arrive at post after the school year began. Our little daughter, Rebecca, was entering first grade. The night before we were to take her to school for her first day, Rebecca came to us in a panic, saying that she had to learn French in order to understand her school. She had been hearing the French that was spoken in that country. We tried calming her by reminding Rebecca that she was going to the American School where English is spoken.

That first day of school found my Rebecca clinging to my hand. When we entered her classroom, a little girl jumped up and shouted "Rebecca, where have you been? I've been waiting for you. Come sit by me." This little girl is named Jennifer whom we had met in the States before they left for their assignment. Need I write that my Rebecca bounced right into that classroom, soon to be taking the lead. And we love Jennifer to this day for welcoming our daughter so warmly over thirty years ago.

A friendly welcome and a warm smile is what is needed. :lol:
Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 AM

I would like to join a guild, but I've been afraid of not being good enough of a quilter. And I have heard of more than one guild that really does't welcome all newcomers. (cliques?s)