Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions Needed for all of my Civil War Fabric >

Suggestions Needed for all of my Civil War Fabric

Suggestions Needed for all of my Civil War Fabric

Old 03-02-2017, 12:44 PM

Default Suggestions Needed for all of my Civil War Fabric

I have washed, dried, ironed and folded 2 bins of civil war fabric and want to get started on a new quilt but need some suggestions of patterns. I have looked on Pintrest but nothing caught my eye. I was wondering if any pattern would work and just keep with the civil war fabric thru out the quilt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

How about a sampler of civil war style blocks? There are many books available... I am using Barbara Brachman's Civil War Sampler.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:50 PM

My friend just finished "Eldon" by Edita Sitar....www.laundrybasketquilts.com.....using her civil war fabrics...it's very nice. Check it out and see if it's something you might want to attempt. It's way out of my realm of possibilities. Show us whatever you decide to do with them.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:32 PM

What a world of possibilities! I like to make Kim Diehl quilts with Civil War fabric -they generally have some applique along with piecing.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:55 PM

I am going to suggest the Kim Diehl/Jo Morton's book Simple Friendships. It is new and I just received it from Amazon. Great book using a lot of civil war prints. You can look inside to see some of the quilts with the link:

http://www.shopmartingale.com/simple-friendships.html
Old 03-02-2017, 04:29 PM

I made the Four Star Generals quilt. It was a lot of fun. Look at the third quilt. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t230287.html
Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 PM

OMG! Such wonderful patterns!! Will have to "bookmark" the book! I did my Jane Stickle quilt with Civil Wars and love the fabrics! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 AM

I have seriously been looking at the "Simple Friendships" book and thought I would enjoy it. I did look at the patterns inside and there are a couple of tops I would enjoy making. I don't applique but I have a dear friend that does beautiful applique and has been wanting to teach me. This may be her opportunity! I have also been considering the Eleanor Burns pattern in the book I have-I think it is called something Railroad. Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas-I think I have a decision to make.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:25 PM

"Eldon" is one of my Quilts In Progress (aka Unfinished Object, but not forgotten about). I got a bunch of additional Civil War fabrics for my daughter's requested "Flower Garden, by Kim McLean". Looking forward to incorporating those new fabrics into a restart of Eldon.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Jenny Doan made a civil war type quilt awhile back can't be sure but the name Tavern Blues comes to mind. I know it is on YouTube and it's a pretty long video.