Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions please for using 30s prints

I think most anything looks good in the 30's prints! The very older, traditional patterns are probably the best like Wedding Ring, Grandmother's Flower Garden, Dresden Plate. However, I've made Yellow Brick Road and Turning 20 with them too. And I have a friend who's used black background with them and it was stunning. However, I tend to like the white background but not quite white. I use the Kona snow as my background whenever I can.

Blog Entries
    LOve all the suggestions. I have a ton of 1930's repos from a yard sale. My daughter called me and said someone had a big box of fabric. I told her to offer $5. They took it. When I washed and refolded it there are about 110 yards of fabric. 1930"s fabric isn't really my style I am more of a batik and brights person. I have been using it mostly for baby and donation quilts.

I also love 30's. Have made a few quilts, but favorite was dresden plate for my granddaughter. I thank you need to stick to the older patterns. Have fun with them.

I collect them also, I think a dresden plate or grandmothers fan would be lovely.

wow, what gorgeous quilts!!!! i just love the talent on this board!!!!!

I made a "Twin Sisters" quilt and a "Box" quilt out of reproduction fabrics. Both turned out really nice.

Blog Entries
    Definitely Dresden Plates. OR you can sell all those fabrics to me LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cmagee84
    I am working on a Grandmother's Flower Garden, which uses hexagons. I am doing it by hand using the English Paper Piecing method. I started this project to have hand work to take with me whenever we travel.

I love the 30s print and am also working on the Grandmother's Flower Garden, using freezer paper rather than basting the fabric. I do use the pre-cut hexagons for some of my white (sidewalk) that goes around all the flowers. You can keeping purcasing the 30s fabric and make the quilt as large as you like. The GFG is so convenient to work on at doctor appointments and watching ball games on TV. I also used the 30s print for the double wedding ring quilt since I already had the 30s print in my stash.

Blog Entries
    Have you seen the post, "trying to use up this fabric," below, by IngeMK? Her quilt looks like 30s prints, and is gorgeous! She even gives the name of her pattern and its source. Take a look!

I am doing a 30's quilt right now. I have a book of classic quilt blocks. I am making all different classic blocks with the 30's fabrics and a simple white fabric as the background. I am going to set them on point and have piano keys as a border. I haven't prewashed the fabric because I want it to crinkle up like an old quilt when I wash it.

I am also thinking of doing the Dresden Plate. That would be beautiful in 30's fabric.

If you can find the book "Cotton Candy Quilts" by Mary Mashuta there are a TON of Darling quilts in there that use 30's prints.

i like basket blocks done in 30s fabric

Log Cabin quilts are pretty in the 30's.

Oh YES, I have seen a 30's quilt made from the templates and it is to die for. Do it, for sure. The one I saw used confetti as a background fabric instead of white. I have one started but you know how that goes (into the stack of many waiting).

Blog Entries
    hearts and Apron Strings. A free pattern I don't know how to add the link maybe you could google it

Dresden plate quilts ~!......those are my favorite. I am working on a quilt like that now. Use the EZ dresden plate tool.

I did a google search for the Hearts and Strings pattern. Here is a link: http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...%20Strings.pdf
    It is so pretty!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    30's are great in ERA traditional blocks made like a sampler quilt.

Blog Entries
    Here's one I'm working on. Am waiting for some more FQ's to complete it.

The finished block is only a trial block
    Name:  Attachment-215611.jpe
Views: 153
Size:  42.8 KB

Close up of one block
    Name:  Attachment-215612.jpe
Views: 181
Size:  85.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made this quilt from a magazine quilt pattern. It's very simple and doesn't require sewing any circles, which is even better!

Blog Entries
    I made Fons and Porters Twirling Triangles. Actually made 2 of them. It was in the sept. Oct 2010 magazine. If you decide to make it, let me know because I discovered simple way to get double triangles. On the tv show and magazine they say to toss the leftover. Getting the double triangles is why I made 2 of them!

I am doing the Drunkards Path with 30's. I have dozens of traditional patterns that I want to do with my huge collection of 30's. Funny, when I started quilting I said, "I will never do 30's, I will never do hand piecing, I will never hand quilt." Love all three now.

Sandybeach, those are such beautiful blocks. I cant wait till you finish it... please show us ... Keepsake Quilting has some very pretty 30's fabric.

I am also making a Grandmother's Flower Garden with 30s using English paper piecing. I started it 3 years ago and if I don't soon start working on it more other than when we travel, I will never get it done. My goal is to finish it for our quilt guild's 2012 quilt show but with wanting to hand quilt it too, I don't see that happening!!

Below is the cover of a fabulous 30's quilt book "Link to the 30's - Making the Quilts We Didn't Inherit" by Kay Connors and Karen Earlywine. The weblink: http://www.amazon.com/Link-30s-Makin...dp/1564778797.

The cover quilt is JEWELED WEDDING RING, and it knocked me out of my socks. Such a striking variation of the double wedding ring block. Most of the book's quilts are from original McCall's quilt patterns from the 30's. Other patterns that caught my eye are Chain Link And Sweet Insanity. The weblink can navigate you to the inside cover pages that show photos of the finished projects in the book.

I got the book through the interlibrary loan program at our library; give your local library branch the title, author, publisher and ISBN number to track it down for you at no cost - this'll give you time to check out the patterns in this book without having to buy the book. I get a lot of quilt books this way and those I like I buy online; those with not much or nothing to offer go back at no cost. Needless to say, I bought this book and can't stop looking at it.

Keepsake Quilting has the solid color 30's fabrics if you need a source.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast