Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Suggestions on quilting motifs

I'm stuck. I have a couple of wallhangings that feature asian panels. They need to be quilted, but I'm not sure how to quilt it. I was thinking of cross hatching on the large panel, stipple quilting on the green borders and no idea yet for the smallish squares. Other suggestions? If I do clamshells, how do you mark that without a stencil?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5800322519/

Very nice quilt.

Clamshells you should be able to mark with a dinner plate and a ruler - the ruler to keep them straight across the quilt, and the dinner plate (or whatever other round object you happen to have that's the right size) to act as the shells.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ecmoore
    Clamshells you should be able to mark with a dinner plate and a ruler - the ruler to keep them straight across the quilt, and the dinner plate (or whatever other round object you happen to have that's the right size) to act as the shells.
    I like your idea. Never really thought about how to make clam shells without a stencil.

Beautiful. I don't know your skill level, but mine is pretty low. I would personally use a watery type all over stitch. (cause I know how to do that) The quilting part is my weakest part.

Power Poster
    Very pretty!

A cup works well to mark clam shells and would suit this fabric without being too much. I would stitch in the ditch on the square motifs and highlight the flowers and bird by stitching around the designs in the panel. We used to do that with printed panels of animals, bird and flowers and then stuff them a little extra for a dimensional look. You could do each flower or a bouquet.

Carol J.

Blog Entries
    Since this is a wall hanging, I would use invisible poly thread. You will get the texture, but it won't interfere with the print. Lovely.

I would outline and shadow quilt the panel and then in the center panel I would make a pattern that was more the pattern of the clouds than the clamshells. I would make myself a stencil of cranes for the border.

TanyaL's ideas are wonderful and I like the idea of the continuous watery pattern. Other patterns can be had on the Web but I also like the gingko leaf shape...its easy, too.