Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for sewing kit for 5-yr. old girl... >

Suggestions for sewing kit for 5-yr. old girl...

Suggestions for sewing kit for 5-yr. old girl...

Old 12-02-2021, 07:14 PM
MCH

Post Suggestions for sewing kit for 5-yr. old girl...

My daughter-in-law alerted me today to my granddaughter's budding interest in hand sewing. Well, this grandma immediately took up the challenge of putting a hand sewing kit together for Sarah (age 5). It seems Sara is enjoying just sewing pieces of fabric together. I immediately thought of a 9-patch. I've been sewing since, well, let's just say, since before Elvis was a heart-throb. What would you suggest I include in a "sewing basket"? I want it to be age-appropriate, but also something she can enjoy using and expanding going forward. Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks much!
Old 12-03-2021, 03:45 AM

I would include lots of cute fabric, characters and colors and patterns that she likes. It s amazing how the right fabric will keep your interest long after the quilt making process becomes dull! I would suspect it might be better to pre cut a bunch of pieces for her. you may be able to make a cute pin cushion, I've seen some that are in the shape of owls or whales or something.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:58 AM

I just made a kit for my 8yo niece who has an interest in sewing. I used a plastic container with an attached lid and included: small spools of thread in several colors, a package of assorted size hand needles, a tomato pincushion withnstrawberry ( she liked mine so much), pins, round point scissors for cutting thread and a pack of charm squares and mini squares of pretty fabrics, plus a few fat quarters. My niece loved it!
Old 12-03-2021, 04:00 AM

Felt and embroidery thread would be a fun addition so she can cut out little shapes to make animals or ornaments.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

I think it might depend on the child - some I might trust with "real" tools like small, sharp pointed scissors and real pins and needles.

Others - the cardboard things with the cards and dull large needles (like for joining knitted pieces) would be suitable. I think they are called lacing cards.

There are some "sewing for kids" books available that might be fun - and hepful.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:40 AM

Love the basket idea. I set my 8 year old Grandson up with a sewing machine from QVC. A little one. I gave him strips to sew together. Thread, a nice pair of scissors and an antique metal turtle pin cushion . I would add a couple of stacks of 2 1/2” squares for her to sew together. Embroidery needles have a bigger eye and a sturdy shaft. I would add a package of those. How about a needle keeper. I have a booklet type fabric thing that holds needles. And a thimble!! She will love that.

Last edited by sewingitalltogether; 12-03-2021 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:23 AM

I made one for my girls when they were about that age. It included threads, needles, Plastic needles, metallic skeins of threads for plastic canvas making, and plastic canvases. A thimble, a number of charm squares and bees wax. I also included some buttons and scissors. I put in a tape measure and some embroidery threads. I discovered this was a bit more that she needed to get started with. The plastic canvas things were fun to help her learn to make uniform stitches. She liked to do those to start with then started stitching by hand her charm squares. She did not find an interest in the embroidery items. It got her started in her sewing. She still doesn't do a lot of sewing but can handle a sewing machine that my Aunt Mary left to her. And she can also sew on buttons.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:50 AM

Besides the basic notions, I would suggest you precut fabric and some hexagons for a Grandmother's Flower garden. This pattern is very easy and you would have a high chance of success for her to make a small doll sized quilt pretty quickly. It also has the advantage of being portable so she could bring it to family events for some one-on-one time with Grandma.

My second suggestion is to NOT use a traditonal sewing basket and use a Caboodle instead. If sewing is just a fling, she can still use it for other hobbies, jewelry or, when she's older, makeup.

Most of all, have fun!