Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions for a spcialty mug mat pattern or other idea >

suggestions for a spcialty mug mat pattern or other idea

suggestions for a spcialty mug mat pattern or other idea

Old 03-11-2021, 05:11 PM

Default suggestions for a spcialty mug mat pattern or other idea

My son is a professional photographer at a hospital. I originally bought this specialty fat quarter to make him a mask but have since decided against it as he is not allowed to wear it at work (He has to wear the ones the hospital provides him). What can I make him that is unique, not boring, etc? I was thinking of a mug mat or a table topper for his monitor but need an idea for a pattern that is interesting. This is a large scale print. Since he is an artist, i was trying to be more creative than just a rectangle with borders... He will love this fabric. Got it at Spoonflower. Any other suggestions/ideas will be great! Thank you
Mary Ann
So excited that I finally figured out how to post a photo on this board.
615f5b5b-3fe5-4d9f-94ea-a8eebad23d70_4_5005_c.jpeg
Old 03-11-2021, 06:14 PM

How about a bag for his camera or for camera supplies? He will love anything you make for him. Sons & daughters are special like that!
Old 03-11-2021, 06:30 PM

It is fun to figure out creative ways to transform the fabric. How about a little joke buried in the composition: fussy cut out the antique cameras and make them into a small polaroid quilt, or use the polaroid blocks to make mug rugs:
http://www.quiltingmod.com/2013/05/p...ilt-block.html

If the scale is fairly large I like the idea of again fussy cutting out the cameras in as large as possible squares, then cutting the squares into 4 triangles, mixing up the triangles to make new squares as in the attached photo... you could mix in some solid red or black fabric as well.

You could also make smaller blocks featuring a camera each, and use that as a border around a quilt, or arranged in a way that pleases you with solid, coordinating blocks.
Attached Thumbnails half-square-triangle-zig-zag.jpg