Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Bonnet Sue

Sun Bonnet Sue

Have you made a Sun Bonnet Sue? I'm working on my first Sun Bonnet Sue lap quilt. Thought it would be a fairly simple quilt to make - Boy I was wrong. There is so much detail to making these little boys and girls.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. It has been a great way to use up scraps.

Did Holly Hobby change her name, or is Sue a distant cousin?

Good luck Cagey,its on my bucket list to do,they are sew darling when there done. Can't wait to see yours.Mary
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

I've made a couple then gave up and put them aside for a later project. I've wanted to make my own Sun Bonnet Sue quilt for so long ... it will just have to wait. Good luck to you for your perserverance!
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    I used Eleanor Burn's book, Sun Bonnet Sue Visits Quilt in A Day, http://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Day-Sunb...quilt+patterns and the interfacing that can be bought with the cut outs printed on it. I am a beginning quilter and it wasn't to hard to make. I made it as Christmas gift for my oldest DD a couple years ago. I will have to take a picture of it soon.
    Sherri

I have made gobs of Sunbonnet Sues. What are you finding problems with? Maybe I can help.
    Kathy Osterby

I made an Umbrella Girl quilt for one of my GDs last year. I had fun working on it. Did a SID, then I embriodery umbrella girl outline in the sashing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made two, actually one, I set old vintage blocks with sashing and borders (I took it with me as a comfort when my mother passed and left it accidentally in a motel in Okla) and now another one that is almost finished. If you put your own details on the girls, it becomes more interesting. I sewed buttons on the shoes and flowers and ribbons on the bonnets. I tried to locate the quilt in Okla but, of course, nobody had seen it.

This is Sunbonnet Sue in Texas, which I made a couple of years ago. It was alot of fun!

I've been trying to think of something to do with 30's fabrics, and right now a Sunbonnet Sue is a top choice. We had a guild speaker who just came out with a re-edition of an old Sunbonnet Sue pattern, where the bonnets of the Sues are different types of flowers.

Banned
    I've made 2. One for my aunt for inviting us to her house in Va. for a week and one for my friend as a wedding gift. I've been thinking about making one for myself now since I keep giving them away!!

I made one block in a swap, it was alot of fun choosing the fabrics! Always wonder when you make a block for someone else if it ever gets put into a quilt or not. Name:  2003369760065828095GpnWNQ_fs (Small).jpg
Views: 756
Size:  34.1 KB

Holly Hobby is a different block.

LOL... Sunbonnet Sue and Holly Hobby are 2 different characters, don't know if they're related or not, guess I'll have to check their geneology stats! giggles

Quote Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
    Did Holly Hobby change her name, or is Sue a distant cousin?
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

Dunster:
    As a die hard SB fan I would sure love to send this rendition of SB with flowers for hats. Is this pattern available for purchase, or would you happen to know the name of the designer? Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I've been trying to think of something to do with 30's fabrics, and right now a Sunbonnet Sue is a top choice. We had a guild speaker who just came out with a re-edition of an old Sunbonnet Sue pattern, where the bonnets of the Sues are different types of flowers.
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

My problem with Sunbonnet Sue is I have sooo many patterns for her and want to do all of them! Talk about Sunbonnet Sue overload!! LOL I also found an adorable machine embroidery SB from Anita Gooddesigns and fell in love with that one!! Guess I had better get busy on at least one version of her!!
    Love the quilts that have been posted on this thread!!

Blog Entries
    I made two and loved it! One of these days, I'll get to doing an umbrella girl...one for each month. :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

sharoney: Love your Texas SBS.

my 1st quilt, about 15 years ago was SunBonnet Sue, it was all hand quilted because I did not know then that you could machine quilt

Blog Entries
    here are some Sue's from a swap long ago. I do mine the Eleanor Burns way, with light weight fusible. i draw the pattern on the fusible with pencil (on non fusible side-no dots) and lay it on the right side of my fabric, sew around. trim and turn. clip fusible to turn if necessary. i lay the shoes, then dress and arms and hat down and press in place with an iron. when you turn them, the fusible is then on the back and no raw edges (they are inside now)> i sew to background with a blanket stitch.

Blog Entries
    I have made some SBS blocks for swaps and really enjoyed it - I just do the applique method and find doing the applique stitch by machine relaxing ( I know I am strange LOL )

If you are having problems just ask - you will get help
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I did a Sun Bonnet Sue and Sam quilt several years for my grandaughter. Alternated Sue and Sam blocks with stars. I have a book with Sue doing all sorts of fun things that I hope to make someday. There is a photo in the gallery from that same book. I know my work would never be a nice as that one. The photo is by "Riley" who is/was a member of this board. You should take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
    Dunster:
    As a die hard SB fan I would sure love to send this rendition of SB with flowers for hats. Is this pattern available for purchase, or would you happen to know the name of the designer? Thank you so much!
    The pattern is available here - http://www.quiltsbynature.com/shop/i...er-bonnet-sue/

I am making one right now. I got the same book at Jo Ann with a 40% off coupon. I love it.

One of the first quilts I made was a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt for my granddaughter. Each block has Sun Bonnet Sue doing something different, walking her dog, chasing butterflies, blowing out birthday candles, building a sand castle, saying her prayers, etc. I used fabric from dresses I had smocked for my granddaughter. I did not make all of the blocks at once. It was more a block of the week project. I don't think I have ever enjoyed making a quilt more. I hope you will enjoy making your quilt as much as I enjoyed making mine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast