Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sun bonnet sue

sun bonnet sue

I am going to make a sun bonnet sue quilt. There are hundreds of pictures online. I would like to have your input or hints and suggestions. What about size of figure relative to the size of the block. I am looking forward to your words of wisdom. Thank you.

I have several old Sunbonnet Sue quilts. Most of the blocks are about 12 inches with the Sues being about 8-9. I was thinking if you could maybe get a book at the library? That's what I do sometimes when I want to make something more vintage.
    Have you found any patterns online? That would even be easier. Hope to see what you make!

Pinterest has kazillions of Sunbonnet Sue quilts, blocks, and most important, links to patterns.

It would take a lifetime to make them all!
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Power Poster
    Decide on which type you want. The traditional Sue and Sam or the ones that look like old fashioned ladies. Do you want to quilt in background details behind the figure so you would need more empty space or do you want just the figure in the block. Do you want to add trims and details?
    Then decide which kind of applique you want, needle turn or fusible with buttonhole stitch. Have fun and post pictures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
    Pinterest has kazillions of Sunbonnet Sue quilts, blocks, and most important, links to patterns.

It would take a lifetime to make them all!

I have seen many quilts on Pinterest I would like to make, but have never been successful in locating the pattern. Have given up on Pinterest.
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

I have made a couple of Sunbonnet Sue quilts. I used 9" blocks for each of them, and one I put the blocks on point.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I made one using the printed Quilt in a Day fusible interfacing and used the quilt pattern in the Quilt in a Day Sun Bonnet Sue bk. I had fun having Sue doing several things. Name:  100_2268.JPG
Views: 1710
Size:  55.6 KB

Sorry that the picture is so blurry.Name:  100_2269.JPG
Views: 1707
Size:  62.2 KB

I agree with SusieQ that the figure should be about 3/4 as tall as the finished block. A traditional "Sue" is a little girl side view, with the hat hiding the face. The adult figure with the old-fashioned dresses that I think Tartan has in mind is called "colonial lady".
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
    I made one using the printed Quilt in a Day fusible interfacing and used the quilt pattern in the Quilt in a Day Sun Bonnet Sue bk. I had fun having Sue doing several things.
    Such a lovely quilt! Sunbonnet Sue always makes me smile.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Here's a couple I've made -- these were for boys -- I think my blocks were 12" square, and I did add in some ornamentation, but not a lot. I have another one finished that I did for a gift which I won't post because it hasn't yet been shipped. I'll only post the one photo -- they were almost duplicates. In truth, this one came from images which can be (legally) downloaded off the internet. I used denim for the overalls from worn out jeans (using the non-worn-out parts), and the rest of the fabric came from my stash, little bits and pieces of fabric.

Name:  100_0521-R.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  118.6 KB
    Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 01-17-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: additional content

I used and liked the Quilt in a Day SBS book. Have to see if I can post a picture of the quilt I made.

I think the accuquilt cutters offer a die for SS.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have embroidered lots of redwork Sue's. I have used the iron on patterns on white fabric. I think the design fills about 75% of the square. This allows for cutting the individual blocks apart and flexibility in bordering opportunities. And, if you wanted, you could cut them down a bit (you can't make them bigger after cutting). I have not done any on point, but, I think that is a fun idea. I usually have a red work something going most of the time because it is so portable and you don't need much stuff to carry around.

Our guild made Crayon Colored Sun bonnet Sue blocks for our outgoing president.

The background fabric was bleached muslin, cut over sized to 13.5" square. We traced a Sunbonnet Sue on our block and used crayola crayons to color her clothes. Some members embellished the background with flowers or other art to personalize the block. The figure size was to be at least 10". The unfinished block size was cut down to a 12.5" .

I just did a drawing of Sam's back side and put a fishing pole in his hand and a kerchief in his hip pocket for a baby quilt going to a friend's nephew. They used the quilt, but kept it as a keepsake for him. The drawing filled the quilt from head to foot and they took a picture of him laying at the side of Sam. Picture was cute.

Here's my Sunbonnet Sue, on-point, so she's s little different from others. Lots of fun to make, and a great way to use up some scraps.
    Name:  5588_10201051519357550_2053958942_n.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  82.3 KB

I found a great pattern on Pinterest. It is titled "Going Fabric Shopping with Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Bill" by Marti Mitchell. Nice thing about this pattern is that it tells you the order of placing the applique pieces. The directions say that these figures are 7", but you could enlarge them on a copier.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I think the accuquilt cutters offer a die for SS.
    Yes accuquilt has Sam and Sue. I bought one use and havenít used many of the dies but it sure beats cutting
    A million little pieces if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
    I have seen many quilts on Pinterest I would like to make, but have never been successful in locating the pattern. Have given up on Pinterest.
    That's a shame.

It's very easy to use google image search to find the original photo and follow the link to the original post. Sometimes there's a pattern, sometimes only a photo.

I LOVE Pinterest and, as of today, have 298 Boards with 141,662 pPins.

The lion's share of my boards are quilt related in one way or another.

I try to keep an individual board to a reasonable number of pins: there's no way to have 36,000 pins on one board (as I've seen)! You'd never find that special pin ever again!
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

There is a cute Darlene Zimmerman eBook, Granny Quilt Decor, that I enjoy. I have a great library--close.

The "colonial lady"pattern is eBook Granny Quilt Decor by D. Zimmerman.

For my samples I did a free hand line drawing just looking at computer screen.

cute quilt. Thanks for the picture.

Thanks. Cute, cute,cute!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast