Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sunbonnet Sue & Overall Sam Quilt Blocks >

Sunbonnet Sue & Overall Sam Quilt Blocks

Sunbonnet Sue & Overall Sam Quilt Blocks

Old 04-03-2014, 06:08 AM
DJ

I think the blocks are beautiful! I wish you well in having them finished. I personally love the pillow idea.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

under reply, you will see blue boxes, click on Go Advanced. then go down to Manage Attachments. click there and then on Browse. find photo, click on it, then on Upload. then close window. and Submit Reply. it should show up. there is a size limit but not sure what it is. (here is my snow this morning).
welcome to the forum and ck Senior Centers too for help. Well rats, you got photos posted anyway. Great Blocks!
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 AM

One of my most treasured quilts is the Sun Bonnet Sue my mother and I did together in 1976 in celebration of the bicentennial. I know you will treasure yours when it is completed. If you are certain you cannot do it yourself, find a real professional to do the work. Local quilt shops and quilt guilds will know someone. And welcome to the board from N. Texas. froggyintexas
Old 04-03-2014, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

You can buy beginning quilting books to tell you how to make quilts. A cheap sewing machine will get you started. It isn't rocket science, very easy to do.
Welcome to this wonderful board, lots of people willing to help.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

the two "on point" ones could be made into pillows to go with the quilt. Lovely. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 AM

These are just BEAUTIFUL………..I would - for the present - hold onto these - and check in with a couple of local quilt shops……..and see about taking a beginning quilting class…………You could find that you had no interest in going further with doing this on your own after the class…………BUT - once you take that beginning class (very little in the way of supplies needed)….you might find that you were interested in finishing these yourself…….(don't sell yourself short and hand this over to someone else until you have truly ruled out that you just have NO INTEREST in doing this yourself…..)….. Your mother was very talented………..and you certainly have enough blocks here for a nice quilt…….

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide…..and keep us all posted on how things go………..
Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 AM

If you have items that you are parting with for FREE there is a section called Free Offers & Donations that you could probably list them on, you might want to check the rules first. I know you can't post items for sale as a new member. Many members only look at a small portion of the site daily, so hopefully you can find someone in your area that is interested in your treasures.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
New England is full of wonderfully productive quilters, I'm sure you can find a quilting guild close by and they can direct you.

And just because you've never quilted *yet* doesn't mean you need never learn! Making quilts generally requires only a straight stitch - nothing fancy - and the ability to cut a straight line with a ruler and a rotary cutter (looks exactly like a pizza cutter). Every quilt shop has beginning classes and most guilds have someone who will take a complete beginner under their wing. Wish I were closer, I'd love to mentor you so you could finish your mom's quilt yourself. What a lovely memory.

Jan in VA
I agree. I didn't start quilting until I was in my twenties. Eleanor Burns books are a real good beginning. I have made about 3 quilts from that book. Hopefully, someone close to you will help. I live on the other side of the US otherwise I would be glad to help.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Please show us pictures. Sunbonnet Sue is absolutely my favorite!!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:49 PM

Google quilt guilds in your state. You may find one that is close by and you can see if there is someone willing to quilt these for you. You could even break these down into lap quilts so you and our siblings could each have one.