Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sunday School teacher quilt ideas

Blog Entries
    Hello
    My daughter and her husband are Sunday School teachers and I want to make them a bible/spiritual/sacred/...etc something like that. I have found a few ideas but nothing I want to do. Most are childrens styles. I did find Jacobs Tears which is what I may do. Have any of you made any for churches?
    peggy

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I've seen a pattern book with Bible blocks but I don't know what the name of it is. Maybe someone here does?

Blog Entries
    Seems like I saw a quilt that was Flowers of the Bible. You might do a google search and see what you find. Keep us posted on your project.

go here and find all of the free bible quilt blocks.

http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/b.../bible_bom.htm

Most Bible quilts I've seen are samplers, with each block representing a person, place, or event in the Bible.

This site used to have free Bible blocks, but now you can order PDF patterns: http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/index.html

This site started with "Women of the Bible" quilt based on a devotional focusing on the same theme and has expanded to other themes. http://www.patternsoffaith.com/

You could also do something similar yourself. You could use a block library (quilterscache.com comes to mind as an easy online source) and select a variety of blocks based on their names.

Jacobs ladder if you don't want a sampler.:)

Kwhite, that is an awesome site. Thanks for posting it.:)

Wow! that is neat, did not know there was such.

We did one for one of our elders using a cross as the center of the quilt. Appliqued dogwood on it and embroidered "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life" on it.

My LQS had a gorgeous lap quilt someone did with every other block embroidered Bible verses. Other blocks are beautiful pale blue/green tonals. Bible vereses are embroidered on very pale blue tonal with embroidery in a mediun tan. It is absolutely so gorgeous and peaceful looking. Makes you feel like you are looking at the land, sky and sea, with God's words spread all over.

Formerly NY, IL, AL, TN, HI, FL, AL, MD and Germany. Now living in TN again. Moving to Arkansas
    I've used 'talking quilts' in the past. Seems like they were well loved.

Power Poster
    I worked on a Applique one that several people did of their favourite stories from the Bible. I did "Daniel in the lion's den". If you check www.quilterscache they will have some traditional pieced blocks like Jacob's Ladder and King Crown... There is also an awesome quilt in this site that someone's mother did for them. I can't think of the title but I remember some of the sayings...For these I give thanks...sweet fragrant flowers..birds that sing...a welcoming smile..each new day...peace and harmony...whispers of angels...family and friends...a plentiful harvest...cozy old quilts...the stars above...roads that lead home. They all had cute applique blocks to go with the embroidered sayings. I think the title was something like...look what my mother made me. Perhaps the person that put it on will read this and direct you to it.

Here is a BOM I made. It is from the book More Biblical Quilt Blocks by Rosemary Makhan (That Patchwork Place, Martingale Publishing). She also wrote the book Biblical Blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Hi Peggy,
    Fabrics Galore has some prints with bible/scriptures on them they are at
    http://www.fabricsgalore.com/catalog.php?cid=69
    Hope that helps.

Carole

Blog Entries
    I have embroidered a favorite Bible verse in the center square, and also ordered some verses that were made to put in quilt squares - can't find the name of the company - but you could goggle them. I have the book with the flowers from the Bible for quilt squares and not to impressed.

Power Poster
    Eureka, I found it! For these I give thanks...posted by Dreamer. Title was "some of my mom's work". It is a little ways down the page. Have a look and see if it will work for you. (second post) one was lost in cyber space?

Thanks for posting this thread. I love the sample quilt pictured above!

Thanks for posting this question and the ones who answered so lovely. I have learned new things and ideas and sites today. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    To follow up on all the wonderful reply's, I think I like the quilt block called Wings As Eagles block (http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/b...ible_wings.htm). But have any of you seen or done this as a quilt? I would very much like to see variations of how this would look done up as a bed size quilt. I cannot find any pictures.
    Peggy