Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunlight and great view

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    I have noticed that many quilters have their sewing machine set up in front of a window. I do too since I love the great light and also I have a beautiful view. But,,,,,I just recently took a class where the teacher cautioned against this. She said that the sunlight will yellow or discolor the back of your machine (or whichever side you have facing the window). It will also dry rot and bleach out the thread and fabric if they are left there for any length of time. Never thought about this before but it does make you stop and wonder. What are your thoughts?

I can't see with light shining in my face so I never set my machine in front of a window.

If you have low E windows that help filter the sun rays that shouldn't be a problem. However, if your windows are older she may have a point.:)

I too have difficulty sewing in front of a window. I prefer filtered light and a good task lamp.

My window faces north and never gets direct sun, but does get lots of light.

I don't keep the thread on there long enough for this to happen. I had made a sewing machine cover for my machine years ago that looked like a bunny doll and the skirt covered the machine and it did fade badly after a year or so. I would just keep it covered with something if that is a concern before I would give up a beautiful view while sewing.

Blog Entries
    i have the window light coming from the side. but i also have a gooseneck lamp shining on the needle area. i need lots of light to see what i'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    Same here, plus my sewing room is actually a second-floor loft so it's open to the downstairs on one side. The ambient light from downstairs really helps brighten the space, especially in the morning (the open side is east-facing).

I prefer north-facing windows in sewing rooms. The light is still plenty bright, but never harsh or glaring, which can get tiresome to the eyes. It's also more consistent through the day, which is great for handwork.

I try to keep my machine covered when not in use and we have filmed windows to reduce fading etc. My machine doesn't sit directly in front of a window either.

I face a window but only get the late afternoon sun in m face, then I just tilt the blinds a little. I love the light coming in, plus my new sewing room is yellow and white (yellow carpet too), I love how light and warm it is, my little sanctuary.

I don't have mine set up in front of the window. My room takes the direct afternoon sun and mine blinds are closed to try and help with the afternoon/early evening heatup that occurs :-(. Plus, I like having mine back up to my craft desk, because it gives me plenty of support when I'm doing FMQ.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like worrying about only a little risk, to me. But I would not store fabric or thread where it gets direct sun for part of the day, for the risk of fading the colors. My windows face SE and South, and I love the bright light. Of course, my machine is an old, black Singer, so no new plastic case to worry about!

I have a wraparound porch that is covered so it is not so bright. My machines are in front of the window. I like to look out at the scenery.

I have mine in front of the window and don't get direct sunlight, it is at the front of my house so i only open the blinds when i sew, then close them. I don't think it will be a problem. Thanks for the info. If i notice it getting a little discolored i will move it.

Quote Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
    I have noticed that many quilters have their sewing machine set up in front of a window. I do too since I love the great light and also I have a beautiful view. But,,,,,I just recently took a class where the teacher cautioned against this. She said that the sunlight will yellow or discolor the back of your machine (or whichever side you have facing the window). It will also dry rot and bleach out the thread and fabric if they are left there for any length of time. Never thought about this before but it does make you stop and wonder. What are your thoughts?
    I'd much rather have the light as to worry about the back of my machine. If your machine is an issue, very simple to make a cover. Thread and fabric can easily be put away. But she knows that.

My machines are covered when not in use. And usually the thread is put away in case the cat decides to explore.

Blog Entries
    There is also a UV film you can put on your window if this is a concern :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Sounds like worrying about only a little risk, to me. But I would not store fabric or thread where it gets direct sun for part of the day, for the risk of fading the colors. My windows face SE and South, and I love the bright light. Of course, my machine is an old, black Singer, so no new plastic case to worry about!
    Got to agree with this one!

Never thought of it but am wondering if the same would hold true for being in front of a window facing the North where there is no direct sunlight, just natural light. That is my plan for our retirement home we will be moving to in a couple of years. Will be interested in the posts on this thread. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    Me, too! But I wouldn't think the thread and fabric that you are working on would be so badly affected in the time you're working on it. Interesting!

Blog Entries
    So what if it does? No one sees the back of my machine. Thread is easy to replace if it sits unused long enough to get heatstroke.

My sewing desk and machine are in front of a window, but it's a north facing window so it doesn't get any direct sunlight, but the teacher certainly has a reasonable concern. I would say that it depends on what the window direction is before worrying about sun damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
    Close your curtains when you are not sewing

My window faces west, and I like it because my bird feeders are on that side of the house and I like to watch the birds as I sew. The only problem is when the sun gets to that side of the house and shines on the shiny parts of my machine. By that time I am busy geting supper and I don't sew by machine after that. Maybe hand sewing in front of the tv.

My whole sewingroom outside wall is wall to wall floor to ceiling windows which everyone thought would be a marvelous idea but in the last few years, I can't see or stand light hitting my eyes from above, so to preserve heat and cool, they are now all draped and my machine and I are facing the side wall. I love in the winter to be able to see everything, tree skeletons, birds, whatever is out there so maybe in the winter, I will take down some of the drapes. Sad, isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I can't see with light shining in my face so I never set my machine in front of a window.
    Same here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast