Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Survey #1 says... >

Survey #1 says...

Survey #1 says...

Old 05-10-2022, 05:32 PM

I square up blocks if needed after pressing the unit or block. As often as I need to sliver trim, I need to unstitch and fix a seam allowance issue. I make an initial determination by eyeballing the unit/block. Am I the only one who finds I am more likely to ruin a block by attempting sliver trim it?

I will say that I have a bunch of scrap half square triangles that I have made as leaders/enders that I expect to have to square up to the largest possible usable unit before actually using them.

Last edited by SuzSLO; 05-10-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:13 AM

After sewing all the blocks
Old 05-11-2022, 01:59 AM

I will typically chain piece a bunch of like-kind blocks/sections of blocks, and square up after that chunk is completed, if needed. I tend not to square up anything that consists of just squares, only if there are flying geese/half square triangles/etc.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:27 AM

I square up after each unit is finished. That way my blocks are less likely to need attention before assembling them into the quilt top.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:45 AM

i square my blocks after each block i make
Old 05-11-2022, 04:08 AM

Great ideas from all.
I have been squaring up after all blocks are made. I figured that way I would make them all the same.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:44 AM

I measure after each seam and trim if required. I have learned If a seam is wonky then the block will be really wonky. That wonky seam gets magnified as the block grows and never shrinks. It's much easier to fix immediately after sewing it than waiting for the block to be complete. I'm a slow and methodical quilter and this method works the best for me.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Rarely square up blocks. If I can see a few are way off then I remake them. 1/4"inch too big or small doesn't bother me, I can fudge when sewing them together. I have won several ribbons in local and state shows to know it works for me. My Viewer's Choice award was for a quilt that had poor piecing but beautiful colors. Unless making a money winner show quilt no one really cares if a point is not sharp or if one seam is not perfectly matched to another. .
Old 05-11-2022, 10:21 AM

I check that each unit is square as I assemble a block. My machine does an accurate scant 1\4 inch so it’s rare that I have to do much trimming if I press carefully. I donate my quilts and I do want the points pointy and the seams to match. I figure it’s not that hard to do. The purpose of donating is to brighten someone’s day so I think they deserve the best I can do.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:00 PM

I don't square anything. I cut as accurately as I can, use my 1/4" foot and never square. I tried it earlier in my quilting adventures and wound up with squared blocks that varied too much in size. So I stopped squaring.

I'm happy, the people whom get my quilts are happy, that's what really matters to me.