Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweet miracle gift for me!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Sweet miracle gift for me!

Several days ago a dear quilting friend invited me to attend the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show in Hampton, VA, while spending a week as her guest in her timeshare in nearby Williamsburg.

It is such an exciting, wonderful gift because I could never have afforded to go on my own due to the overnight expense! We'll have the opportunity to sew in the condo, shop, tour, and just enjoy ourselves in the days before the show, which starts on Wednesday night. And then we can do the show in small segments to prevent fatigue as the admission allows re-entry for all 5 days.

We have an appointment at the Textile Museum to photograph my family quilt (ca. 1780-90 that I donated to them in 2002. We'll be back in the climate controlled "stacks" storage area where the quilts are stored in huge, shallow, flat drawers in tall canvas draped racks. We'll have to climb ladders to get a "looking down on it" view of the full quilt this visit, as there was not enough time to have the quilt taken to the research and work room. The staff are in the midst of a very busy demonstration and show week (not related to the Mid-Atlantic show) and we were blessed to get any time with the quilt at all.

I have a small selection of fabrics I've been collecting for several years that I want to audition with the fabrics in the quilt. Because the original fabrics were English, printed in the late 1700s, reproductions are nearly impossible to find. I hope to write a book about this quilt someday and include the pattern as well as some relevant history as it pertains to fabric and quilting. How wonderful it would be if there could also be a fabric line to go with it!

We are expecting the first real snow event of the season in the morning, wouldn't you know on the day we are to leave! So, as we'll be driving east, we hope to outrun it, just getting rain and some sleety mix that (surely!) won't stick. By Thursday near the coast it'll be in the high 60s! Hard to pack tonight, LOL, and the car is already loaded so I don't have to do it in the rain in the morning. All I've have to do is brave it while running through Mickey D's for a sausage biscuit on the way to her house.

Wish you were all going with in my pocket!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

What an exciting time for you! I know you will be in heavenly bliss! Hope you get to spend a little time in Williamsburg too that is such a quaint village. Enjoy every minute of it.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Be careful, that sleety mix is harder to drive in than real snow. You should have a wonderful time! What a great friend.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    How exciting!! Can't wait for you to get back and tell all...and would love to see pics too!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

That is a really special gift
    I hope you have a wonderful time

Blog Entries
    Sew happy for you! I can tell how excited you are, and I hope you and your friend have a wonderful time!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Sounds like a really exciting trip!!!ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Jan, I am wishing you and your friend a safe and enjoyable tine. I am also looking forward to seeing a post about your trip upon your return.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Have fun, and remember all of us (who wish we could be there with you) by posting pictures when you get back.

Blog Entries
    Jan, I'm so excited with/for you!! It's a really fabulous opportunity. I'm anxious to see pictures of that quilt. I hope you will be able to get close up shots of small sections as well as the overall. And a book about it...that's a great project! Have fun!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Jan, I am very lucky to be local to this yearly event!!!!!!Even though I work at a local shop I look forward to this every year. My poor bank card will be a melted blob by the end of the show. Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!

Hope you have a safe trip, and a wonderful time! Would love to hear the story behind the quilt, who made it and where they lived, did they bring the fabrics from England, and would love to see it, and all the beautiful fabrics. I know you will enjoy your reunion with your quilt. Can't wait to hear from you when you return home!!

I can't wait to see pictures. I LOVE everything about Williamsburg...especially the food and shopping. What a great opportunity for you...and to see your family quilt displayed...WOW!!! Be safe.

Blog Entries
    Hope you have a great trip and I'm happy that you are having this get away. I love going the show each year. I even have a 51/2 yr old grandson who has to go at least one day; he loves it and asks more questions than I do. I wouldn't worry about the weather. While tonight they say we might see a flurry for a few area so far this year we've seen less than 1/2in and it was gone in the blink of an eye. Enjoy the show and all that this area has to offer. If you get a chance there is a great little quilt shop down the road across the James River Bridge called Bella's Fabric, great shop if you have time. (I have no affiliation with them, I just like to shop there)
    Judy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Jan, sounds like a lovely time. Can not wait to see the pix, so we know that WE had a good time!

What a wonderful week you have planned. Have a great time, travel safe, maybe bring back pics of the show to post.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Blog Entries
    Jan, that is a wonderful gift. Enjoy yourself and come back with lots of photos.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Have a wonderful week!!!
    Miz Kyp aka Margie

Blog Entries
    I am thrilled for you! Have a great time.
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    Jan, I'm so happy for you!! Please be safe. Knowing the kind of person you are, I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing all about your wonderful trip. Have a great time!!!
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    I am sooooooo jealous of you! I hope you have a wonderful time! I can't imagine what it will be like to be in the that storage room with all those wonderful quilts. You have a wonderful friend but I'm pretty sure you deserve it!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I wish I could go. I live in Oregon and VA seems so far away. I would love to go to a big show someday that is close by but they all seem to be back east or in TX. I have a niece in TX, so that's a possibility. Have the most fun possible. You'll probably be pooped by the time you get home because you won't be getting 8 hours of sleep with all there is to see and do. Drive safely. That slushy stuff is a bear to drive in. And yes, be sure to write a big essay on your whole trip when you get back. I want to read all about it. And pictures of course!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    How exciting this is!!! I can read your joy! Have a safe and wonderful time

Have a wonderful time, and we will be anxiously awaiting your return with all the pic's and details !!
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    Jan, I am so happy for you. What an exciting week you have ahead of you. I love your neck of the woods. My husband and I used to spend long weekends in VA hiking the trails along Skyline Drive. Also love the Williamsburg area. Take lots of pics for us. And most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast