Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sweet miracle gift for me! >

Sweet miracle gift for me!

Sweet miracle gift for me!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default Sweet miracle gift for me!

Several days ago a dear quilting friend invited me to attend the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show in Hampton, VA, while spending a week as her guest in her timeshare in nearby Williamsburg.

It is such an exciting, wonderful gift because I could never have afforded to go on my own due to the overnight expense! We'll have the opportunity to sew in the condo, shop, tour, and just enjoy ourselves in the days before the show, which starts on Wednesday night. And then we can do the show in small segments to prevent fatigue as the admission allows re-entry for all 5 days.

We have an appointment at the Textile Museum to photograph my family quilt (ca. 1780-90 that I donated to them in 2002. We'll be back in the climate controlled "stacks" storage area where the quilts are stored in huge, shallow, flat drawers in tall canvas draped racks. We'll have to climb ladders to get a "looking down on it" view of the full quilt this visit, as there was not enough time to have the quilt taken to the research and work room. The staff are in the midst of a very busy demonstration and show week (not related to the Mid-Atlantic show) and we were blessed to get any time with the quilt at all.

I have a small selection of fabrics I've been collecting for several years that I want to audition with the fabrics in the quilt. Because the original fabrics were English, printed in the late 1700s, reproductions are nearly impossible to find. I hope to write a book about this quilt someday and include the pattern as well as some relevant history as it pertains to fabric and quilting. How wonderful it would be if there could also be a fabric line to go with it!

We are expecting the first real snow event of the season in the morning, wouldn't you know on the day we are to leave! So, as we'll be driving east, we hope to outrun it, just getting rain and some sleety mix that (surely!) won't stick. By Thursday near the coast it'll be in the high 60s! Hard to pack tonight, LOL, and the car is already loaded so I don't have to do it in the rain in the morning. All I've have to do is brave it while running through Mickey D's for a sausage biscuit on the way to her house.

Wish you were all going with in my pocket!

Jan in VA
Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 PM

What an exciting time for you! I know you will be in heavenly bliss! Hope you get to spend a little time in Williamsburg too that is such a quaint village. Enjoy every minute of it.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Be careful, that sleety mix is harder to drive in than real snow. You should have a wonderful time! What a great friend.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 PM

How exciting!! Can't wait for you to get back and tell all...and would love to see pics too!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM

That is a really special gift
I hope you have a wonderful time
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Sew happy for you! I can tell how excited you are, and I hope you and your friend have a wonderful time!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like a really exciting trip!!!ENJOY!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Jan, I am wishing you and your friend a safe and enjoyable tine. I am also looking forward to seeing a post about your trip upon your return.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

Have fun, and remember all of us (who wish we could be there with you) by posting pictures when you get back.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Jan, I'm so excited with/for you!! It's a really fabulous opportunity. I'm anxious to see pictures of that quilt. I hope you will be able to get close up shots of small sections as well as the overall. And a book about it...that's a great project! Have fun!