Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Switched Batting Need Advice >

Switched Batting Need Advice

Switched Batting Need Advice

Old 08-06-2021, 11:17 AM

Default Switched Batting Need Advice

I have been using a Tosnail low loft 99% natural cotton batting for the past year. I just bought a bolt of Pellon Nature's Touch 90/10 because the price was amazing and I'm into new things...

But now I'm getting nervous because I am reading that the Pellon has 3-5% shrinkage; whereas the Tosnail says it was 3% or less.

Should I be worried about this?
What can I do to be prepared for the pucker after that first wash?
Anyone else have experience with this kind of change?
Is this even a big deal at all?

Thanks Group!
Old 08-06-2021, 06:34 PM

Interesting post. I have never really thought about how much the batting would/could shrink and just used whatever I wanted to, although I have never used the ones you have mentioned. I am not a pre-washer of my fabric, so I expect shrinkage and always oversize my expected finish by 6 to 8 inches (bed size) 3 to 4 inches (throw size) to allow for the shrinkage. I'd make a throw and quilt as you normally would and test the finished size after washing from the finished sewing size. This will tell you how to make adjustments for future projects to get them the finished size you want. I suspect that if you are making complicated blocks, think paper pieced, you might would want to use a batting that doesn't shrink as much, but you won't know until you test the new batting.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:26 PM

You could spritz with water & toss in the dryer for a bit. I'm thinking of doing that with the silk batting I'm going to use in a QOV
that I hope to work on this weekend. If not the shrinkage isn't too much. It just depends on how much crinkle look you want.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:46 AM

I'm not familiar with either of those brands. I generally use warm and natural. I don't care for the crinkled look, so I wet my batting and stick it in the dryer.

bkay