Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Swithching Irons Can Be Dangerous

My iron gets switched on & off from a power strip. It is not a turn itself off model as I got sick of that kind always being off when I wanted it. Also on this power bar is a stand ott light, so when the iron is on, the light is on. Two good reasons for this, - it gives me better light at the board, & it lets me know not to forget to turn it off when not needed.

My iron is an auto shut off too. I always unplug it when I have finished for the day. It does not have an off / on switch and when you dial it all the way down a red light stays lit and that makes me think it may not be all the way off. I am petrified that it may overheat and start a fire. You read these stories about coffee pots, toasters etc starting fires when not in use, so why not irons.

Quote Originally Posted by harkness48
    My iron gets switched on & off from a power strip. It is not a turn itself off model as I got sick of that kind always being off when I wanted it. Also on this power bar is a stand ott light, so when the iron is on, the light is on. Two good reasons for this, - it gives me better light at the board, & it lets me know not to forget to turn it off when not needed.
    I do this very same thing. My iron does have an auto-shut-off but I don't trust it! The glowing light reminds me I'm not finished shutting down for the day until it's off. Good for my often absent mind! :lol:

Dkm
    I also have the same type of iron as you described, and a friend HAD the same kind. She left hers plugged in and it caught on fire. Now I never leave mine plugged. Better safe than sorry.

I bought a plug recepital to set on my table and I plug Iron,ott lamp, coffee warmer. when I stop sewing I just push the switch off. I too hated to unplug from the wall.

Blog Entries
    I really like the idea of the power strip!!! I have wanted to get one for my machines in case I forget to unplug them too...

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    :roll: So now I make sure it is always unplugged when I am not using it :oops: ?
    I keep my auto-off feature plugged into a surge protector strip. When I am done for the day, I click the switch off on the strip.

Sunbeam have an auto shut off that you just iron and it will turn on again

I am forgetful at this stage of life (actually I always have been!). So I have a bracelet (magnetic) that I put on when I plug in my iron. I take it off and put it back when I unplug. Later if I suddenly see I have the bracelet on (always the same bracelet) I know I didn't unplug my iron. Works for me!

HI, ON THE SUBJECT OF NOT UNPLUGING IRON, HERE IS WHAT HAPPEN TO A FRIEND, She forgot to unplug her for (I don't know how long) and it was on the bookcase headboard,and it sort of melted and burned her headboard,before she smelled it. Lucky she was still home. Never leave them plugged in. Even if there is a auto-off iron.

I didn't check all the answers here, so I may be repeating someone. My set up involves a power strip. When the power strip is on, the iron is on, but so is the lamp. When I leave the room, if the lamp is on, so is the iron, so I always know that when Ileave, if the light is out so is the iron. This method has not failed me yet.

Maria

I searched for an iron that gave me an hour before it shut off! I was thrilled! The directions say to unplug it when done. I thought "No way!" but I got myself into the habit of doing it & now it's automatic so no matter which iron I use, it is unplugged! Now I'm glad! :lol:

That's a great idea! Maybe I'll have a 'talk' with my DH & see if he can add something like that? I found an iron that gives me an hour b4 it turns off! That's fab, most of them are 10-15min! Just push a button to turn it back on but the light stays on for an hour even if the control is off. So I made myself unplug it. somebody mentioned a Sunbeam that turns back on if you just iron? I like that, do you know who carries Sunbeam? :lol:

My iron is plugged into a power strip with a light on it. My sewing room is in the basement and I invariably get to the top of the stairs when I have I tiny bit of doubt that I shut the strip off. But all I have to do is look to see if the light on the power strip is off and don't have to run back down the stairs to check.

Blog Entries
    I'm a really fire scaredy cat (and since our house burned, I have good reason) ...I unplug all appliances when not in use and I wouldn't dream of washing/drying clothes or dishes when we aren't home. ....so unplug it is for me even if my cheap old iron did have that auto shut off.

I have one light in my sewing room that I absolutely do not shut off until I shut off the iron. I have conditioned myself to do this. Took a while, but I love my old iron. I had a newer one and tossed it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2