Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-Shirt Comfort Quilt Opinions >

T-Shirt Comfort Quilt Opinions

T-Shirt Comfort Quilt Opinions

Old 02-24-2014, 08:56 AM

Default T-Shirt Comfort Quilt Opinions

One of my dearest friends lost her adult son several months ago. I promised to make her a t-shirt comfort quilt, but have a question.

She is asking for a queen sized quilt to put on the empty bed he slept in that is in the guest room. I thought that sounded so big and lonely, that I suggested making several smaller quilts to wrap up in during the evenings. (Maybe 45" x 72"?) Have any of you made t-shirt comfort quilts, and what are your opinions on doing several smaller ones vs one large quilt? Do people use comfort quilts on their own beds? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 AM

I'm sure they do. I've only seen bed size quilts make out of t-shirts. If you make little quilt you wouldn't get very many shirts used.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:44 AM

I've made a lot of t-shirt quilts. I love lap size, they're great to cuddle with.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM

Just did a restoration on one that was full sided.I would go with that.It is her wish.you could do quilt as you go which makes it much easier.Good luck
Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 AM

On days she really needs it she can go and get the big quilt and still wrap up in it.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM

I made a tee shirt quilt for my niece using shirts from her high school years -- she had MANY! IMHO it was too large and too heavy to be used as a comfort quilt. She uses it as a bedspread. I was sorry I had not made more than one afghan-sized quilts instead. It was too large for me to do the quilting on my DMS so I had to have it done by a long arm quilter. If she wants it only as a show piece for his bed, a large quilt would work.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by AZNance View Post
One of my dearest friends lost her adult son several months ago. I promised to make her a t-shirt comfort quilt, but have a question.

She is asking for a queen sized quilt to put on the empty bed he slept in that is in the guest room. I thought that sounded so big and lonely, that I suggested making several smaller quilts to wrap up in during the evenings. (Maybe 45" x 72"?) Have any of you made t-shirt comfort quilts, and what are your opinions on doing several smaller ones vs one large quilt? Do people use comfort quilts on their own beds? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your suggestions and advice! I appreciate it!