Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-Shirt quilt, advice, please! >

T-Shirt quilt, advice, please!

T-Shirt quilt, advice, please!

Old 11-16-2010, 04:42 AM

I have been saving all of my kids sports T-shirts for years with the intention of making a T-shirt quilt for each of them. Has anyone made one of these and if so, what do you do about quilting i?. Do you quilt only the sash and borders? They say to iron the T-shirt on to iron on interfacing and I always wonder about that.... how will it hold up in the wash?
Or are there any other, more creative and different T-shirt quilt styles other than the traditional one that I have seen with the sashing between the T-shirt blocks? Would love advice from all you talented and experienced quilters!
Thanks!

Torrie
Old 11-16-2010, 04:46 AM

Do a search here on the board for T-shirt quilts. You will find dozens of pictures for inspiration. Some with sashings, some without, some mixed with other blocks. There are endless ideas for layouts.

As for interfacing, you need it to keep the shirts from stretching while you sew. The interfacing seems to hold up to washings just fine.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:21 AM

Thanks Lisa! I am off to work now. I will do the search when I get home. I should have thought of that first!!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Torrie, I made my son a t-shirt quilt several years ago and it has held up nicely. I did use iron on interfacing. I quilted it on the sashing and it turned out really nice. He wants me to make him another one.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by vhiggason
Torrie, I made my son a t-shirt quilt several years ago and it has held up nicely. I did use iron on interfacing. I quilted it on the sashing and it turned out really nice. He wants me to make him another one.
Thank you... that's good news on both counts, that it holds up well and that he liked it enough to want another one!! : )
Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM

I'm just starting 2 of them today. I like to use the tricot iron on interfacing. You alternate the stretch of the tricot going one direction and the stretch of the shirt the other. I think it gives it a nice body, but not too hard to quilt thru. I have quilted thru the shirts too..but beware of shirts with lots of stiff paint. Try to plan your quilting around that. Here is a picture of one I am using as an idea. I love the way the blocks look like they are 'floating' on top of the quilt. Fools your eye doesn't it? lol
I hope it is not too small to see.

Let me know if you want more info on this setting.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127347.jpe  
Old 11-16-2010, 03:26 PM

Wow! That really does fool the eye! Very cool!! Love it!! Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
I'm just starting 2 of them today. I like to use the tricot iron on interfacing. You alternate the stretch of the tricot going one direction and the stretch of the shirt the other. I think it gives it a nice body, but not too hard to quilt thru. I have quilted thru the shirts too..but beware of shirts with lots of stiff paint. Try to plan your quilting around that. Here is a picture of one I am using as an idea. I love the way the blocks look like they are 'floating' on top of the quilt. Fools your eye doesn't it? lol

This is really cool! Can you post a link or more info for this? I have one in the planning stages.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi

I would like more information on the setting, I am getting ready to make yet another tee shirt quilt and want to do something different.
OzarksGma
Old 11-16-2010, 03:39 PM

I've done a couple of these -- I've quilted on the shirts but not the printed part. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if I can.

Here's some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127121.jpe   attachment-127362.jpe   attachment-127363.jpe   attachment-127365.jpe   attachment-127366.jpe