Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
t-shirt quilt help for beginner >

t-shirt quilt help for beginner

t-shirt quilt help for beginner

Old 10-11-2013, 06:56 PM

Default t-shirt quilt help for beginner

I need to know everything about making a tshirt quilt. My mother in law just passed away and I got all of her shirts to make my children memory quilts. I have never done or have wanted to do a t shirt quilt so I know zero. Please help I know nothing. Thank you.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 PM

I have always wanted to make a t-shirt quilt so will be following this thread to get more advice, but I have looked a while back a tute on youtube and here is one I found. I also bought a book to help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3jqR2N4KA

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Gardens...ilts+made+easy
Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 AM

There have been a LOT of threads on this lately. Try searching "t-shirt quilt" in the search box here. There's a lot of great ideas and helpful tips all over the board!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:02 AM

Have a look at my avatar: the middle is made from an old T-shirt of my daughter!! The surrounding is normal fabric. And you have to iron on a light stabilizer behind the fabric, because t-shirts are elastic!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Here's a link that will give you loads of info. They will make the quilts for you, but also have lots of how-to on their site, as well as a well detailed book on how-to is available.

http://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/

Their technique does not use a stabilizer on the t-shirts and IMHO gives a far nicer finish, than those that are done with stabilizer and fabric sashings.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 AM

I've done quilts both ways - with and without stabilizer. Or shall I say I did a quilt without stabilizer....once. I had a heck of a time quilting it, because the t-shirt fabric wanted to stretch as I was quilting over it. Tons of frogging and lesson learned. I always stabilize t-shirts now. I'm not going through that again, LOL - I'm waaaay to impatient!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 AM

The stabilizer is one of the most important parts of making a t-shirt quilt. Once the t-shirt blocks have been stabilized, you can sew with them like regular material. I use a fusible light weight knit stabilizer that stretches in one direction. I fuse it to the shirt with the stretch in the up/down position. The shirt stretches left/right. Once they are fused together the shirt does not stretch at all. I always fuse a larger area so that I can cut the shirt into a precise size block after fusing. Good luck. Ann
Old 10-12-2013, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=QuiltE;6344497]Here's a link that will give you loads of info. They will make the quilts for you, but also have lots of how-to on their site, as well as a well detailed book on how-to is available.

My DD used the book "How to Make a Too Cool T-Shirt Quilt" by Andrea T. Funk to make this quilt for me. She did not use a stabilizer, meander quilted it and it turned out great. I love it![ATTACH=CONFIG]440862[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0318.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 10:31 AM

When we lost my nephew my sister gave me his clothes for memory quilts.... I had no idea what I was getting into. I did use interfacing on the shirts (tshirts and cotton ones too)... featherweight. I mixed all types of clothes together on the quilts.. jeans, tshirts, cotton shirts. I am just a beginner too, but I am happy with how they are turning out. I am just doing straight line quilting and fleece backing. Here is one that I have finished
Attached Thumbnails 100_1448.jpg  

Last edited by meyert; 10-12-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post

My DD used the book "How to Make a Too Cool T-Shirt Quilt" by Andrea T. Funk to make this quilt for me. She did not use a stabilizer, meander quilted it and it turned out great. I love it!
Great Job, GramaJo ...