Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
t-shirt quilt help >

t-shirt quilt help

t-shirt quilt help

Old 07-13-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
I've been making elastic-like cording for face masks. It is nice and soft around the ears. Cut strips 1" wide and just pull. It curls up into cording. I never knew t-shirt material would do that!
when I was in school, we used to cut off the bottoms of our t shirts, make slices up the bottom edge (slices about a half inch apart and 1" or 2" long) the same way you slice the edges of a rag quilt, then pull on each of the slices to create a fun fringe all along the bottom edge of the shirt.

this works with fleece too. my 10 year old granddaughter helped me make this kind of fringe all the way around the quilt we made for her instead of binding it.

Last edited by mindless; 07-13-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I've made several t-shirt quilts. I save the "scraps" for rags. I'm a retired elementary math teacher, and I still love to teach. I'll create a tutorial in the proper forum: tutorials. I started out making a border for each panel, but now I prefer putting the panels together like a jigsaw puzzle. Furthermore, the last 2 t-shirt quilts were backed with super soft minky. I didn't use batting because the bag of minky fabric was so heavy, I thought the quilt would end up super heavy if I uses batting also. Here is a pic of my cousin's graduation quilt.
Love it! And I notice that you did turn the logos a bit. My next one will have the logos every which way
Old 07-28-2020, 01:58 AM

When I make t-shirt quilts (and I love to make them) the first thing I do is ask the person if they want the pieces back. Sometimes they may want something made later. I have made stuffed bears, dogs, cats from leftovers. Also I have made ornaments. I have also used the scraps for sashings between the blocks.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:53 PM

When I make a T-Shirt quilt the leftovers go to my husband. he uses the sleeves and large scraps in his shop.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:44 AM

Throw all the scraps into a pillow case (or one made for this purpose only). When full, stitch it closed, take it to humane society for pet bed that is washable.