Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-Shirt Quilt >

T-Shirt Quilt

T-Shirt Quilt

Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM

Default T-Shirt Quilt

Hope everybody had a great Christmas day. At our family celebration my brother asked me if I could make a quilt using the t-shirts of his favorite race care driver. I said I think so but now I am really trying to get it straight in my mind. I would figure on cutting off the arms and neck and kind of fussy cut the front and back. Do you have to stablize the t-shirt or applique it on another piece of fabric to make it more stable? I thought about fussy cutting a shirt all about the same size and then maybe doing some sashing in between but I don't think a t-shirt is stable enough. Need some suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:48 PM

I know you have to stabilize it, but I don't know more than that about it. Someone here will know though. What a great sister you are!

Dina
Old 12-25-2012, 04:05 PM

Use a stabilizer. Cut just sleeves and neck/back off leaving as much as possible of shirt. Then, cut stabilizer bigger by 2 inches or so all around and iron on back of shirt. Then fussy cut shirt. Look at picture section. I just posted one that I thre together. All blocks are finished at a multiple of 3 ( unsewn 3.5, 6.5,9.5 etc) and then positioned like a jigsaw puzzle...
Old 12-25-2012, 05:04 PM

I am with the reply #3 from Hopetoquilt. There are books available on making t-dhirt quilts. No doubt you will find good information onllne, too. I made one for my grandson more than a year ago. The t-shirts were in different sizes since they represented what he had worn over a number of years. I also fitted them like a jigsw puzzle. I used sashings to provide unity to the quilt. In case he wanted to use it as a wall hanging, I added a sleeve onthe back. He said no way, he was going to use it as a quilt!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 PM

I stabilize before I cut....
Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 PM

You definitely want to get the iron on - and put it on before you cut because if you try it after you cut the picture out you will have a mess on your hands. Figure out what you have then create your design. It makes it much easier all the way around.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:24 AM

I like using 100% cotton stabilizier when I make my Tee shirt quilts. You don't even know you have used stabilzier after it is washed. There are many different patterns to make tee shirt quilts, so check on line. I like the ones that have sashing inbetween. You can check on my site for some that I have done if you like ... erinsstitches.weebly.com
I can't wait to see what your finished product is.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
... Look at picture section. I just posted one that I thre together. All blocks are finished at a multiple of 3 ( unsewn 3.5, 6.5,9.5 etc) and then positioned like a jigsaw puzzle...
here is a link to the quilt http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t209238.html
Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 AM

I did a google search on tee shirt quilt 'images', lots of ideas. Some with sashing, some wonky, some with lots of t-shirts and some with few.

Until you know how many t-shirts are involved and how big the 'picture' is. What size would he like his quilt? Or even when the brother gets around to send them to you. I would not worry to much.

But on the other hand, it is always nice to be prepared.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Too Cool makes their T Shirt Quilts WITHOUT any stabilizer.
From reading their site, I am sold on their technique and think it's the way to go.
And yes, another added to my list for the New Year!!

Has anyone followed their methods? Thoughts? Results?

http://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/