Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
t-shirt quilts without the stabilizer... can it be done? >

t-shirt quilts without the stabilizer... can it be done?

t-shirt quilts without the stabilizer... can it be done?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Use a stabilizer! In the long run it keeps it's shape better- longer. :-D
Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 PM

I made a t-shirt quilt for my husband. I used the back of each shirt that I cut away as the stabilizer. It is heavy, but he loves it. It is not stiff at all.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM

very nice Patrice i like your idea and your colors in blocks, so far so good
Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 PM

I do like the idea of using the back with the stretch in the opposite direction... gonna definitely do a couple samples of this!!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
I'm not sure? I wonder if you could use the tear away stabilzer or wash away stabilizer (although washable would be pretty spendy for t-shirts)..then when you have the top assembled you could just ter away or wash away the stabilizer.
Perhaps strips of washaway to only stabilize the seam allowances. I would also ose a walking foot. Best advice is to test the various methods.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 PM

I'm not sure you can keep them from stretching without some kind of stabilizer. :-)
Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 AM

yes just don't stretch it.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM

All t-shirt patterns I have read regarding backing recommends some sort of stabilizer to keep them from sagging. That will be a later project for me. I bought a pattern which includes a plastic template to help me.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
I have just been asked by a local radio "personality" who has had the same show for 38 years to make a quilt for him from his collection of themed t-shirts. This is a great honor to me as I am a great fan of all he has done and represents.
Here is my problem and question:
Every t-shirt quilt I have ever felt, has not been soft and cuddley because of the feel of the iron on stabilizer. I, and he, really want this quilt to be very soft. I will use flannel or fleece for the backing. If I use fleece, then I will use a layer of sheet between since the fleece and knit are both so stretchy. So, here is my question:
Any suggestions out there about how to best accomplish my goal without using the iron on stabilizer that will stiffen the t-shirt knit?
Could I starch it enough for sewing, then wash the starch out? Could I pin it a lot and stitch each square to a backing of sheet fabric? Could I do it like a rag quilt with the t-shirt for the front and fleece for the back?
As you see, I'm full of ideas with no idea which way to go. I will make sample squares trying all these methods if necessary, just hoping some of you can save me some steps.
Hugs and smiles and thanks!!!
Before I begin, let me say that I am no pro. Far, far from it. But I have made 3 t-shirt quilts and have not used stabelizer on any one of them. I sleep under one of them quite often and so do the grandchildren. It is very comfortable and soft. The way that I quilted it was this: I hand-stitched in the ditch around the sashing. I did some hand quilting around some of the larger logos and then tied the rest. It's pleasing and follows the theme. On this quilt I had used many of my school t-shirts (I was a first grade teacher, so you can iimagine the assortment of t-shirts and their theme). The second quilt I made was done by machine quilting in the ditch and hand stitching around the logos in each block. This quilt also incorporated an assortment of blocks to fill in the quilt. (I had posted that one. Hmmm, don't remember the title-- maybe Gail's T-shirt quilt). It was given to our SIL and is washed quite often. It still looks great. The third one is still a top, not yet layered and quilted. I plan to do the same thing.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM

GailG, Please tell me what you used as your sashing and for the backing in your quilt. It sounds like exactly what I am looking for.