Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablerunner makers: Do your cats sleep on them???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    If you make a special place for them to lay they will leave the others alone; at least mine do.
    Lucky you! :D My cats go pretty much where they want, when they want! LOL And while my cats aren't allowed on my kitchen table, they will break that rule the moment I put a table runner on it. :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sew_sew
    I've had lots of cat's through the years and always had sucess shooting a stream of water at them to teach them to stay off the tables and counters. I really think it has to be a hard stream and in their face is besst. LOL some will run the second they see the spray bottle. They hate it in there face especially.
    Speaking as a veterinary technician, I'd just like to say that using a spritzer bottle of room temp water is a good deterent for cats, but please, no hard streams in the face. We've seen cats with eye injuries from this and it's so avoidable. A soft mist of water will work just as well to deter your cat. It's not the force of the water that bothers them, it's the water itself. Before you spritz, shake the bottle once or twice quickly. Then soon, you won't even have to spritz, you can just shake the bottle and they'll run. But please - no hard sprays for the safety of your kitties.

j
    How about PUPPY laying there as if he were the centerpiece, we have to tilt the chairs.- J.

Cats like to be up high, so if you have room for a cat tower all the better. Then he/she can look down on you as you do whatever you are doing. You have to put it where you spend a lot of time. Mine would follow me even when I would tell them, just going to bathroom will be right back. Open bathroom door and they would be sitting or laying outside the door.
    Didyou ever noitce the dark colored cats will sleep or lay on light colored fabric and vise versa with light colored cats?

Make a runner for the cat, place it on the area you WANT her on!
    Cats and quilts, they just go together...God made 'em that way, ain't nothing you can do about it!

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    I have never used a table runner but know that if I did, my cats would lay on it.

My cats are not "allowed" on the table however, no matter how strict I try to be, my cats are supervised for most of the day by a DH who will not discipline to my standards. (We had the same problem with our son - who despite this turned out great.)

Go for the table runner and let the cats have a little fun. :-D
    Gorgeous kitty avatar!! If that beauty were mine I'd let her sleep anywhere she wanted!

Speaking as a veterinary technician, I'd just like to say that using a spritzer bottle of room temp water is a good deterent for cats, but please, no hard streams in the face. We've seen cats with eye injuries from this and it's so avoidable. A soft mist of water will work just as well to deter your cat. It's not the force of the water that bothers them, it's the water itself. Before you spritz, shake the bottle once or twice quickly. Then soon, you won't even have to spritz, you can just shake the bottle and they'll run. But please - no hard sprays for the safety of your kitties.[/quote]

That's good to know, especially as it was my vet who gave me the advice. I no longer have cats, but if I ever do again, I will remember this.

My cats would catch on to it and say "It's meant to be seen not slept on, What were you thinking,MOM" They are to smart to leave hair on something that is theirs!!!!

Our cat, Crawfish, seven years old, just recently learned how to be a cat. My DD came to stay a while,brought her dogs and cats, and they whispered into Crawfish's ear. He now is in charge, and sits, sleeps, anywhere he chooses. Right this minute, he is in the top of DH's closet watching me carefully. The water spray did not help for him.

Blog Entries
    Can't and don't keep the cat off of anything except counters. She's 17.5 years young and I may not have her too much longer so she can lay on the runners and crocheted afghans. I can wash them and cat hair like ketchup is a condiment anyway...lol.

Absolutely RIGHT! Don't we make them just for our fur babies pleasure? The spray bottle worked with one of our cats but when we were not there, he did what he pleased. Must be a man/boy thing.

Find a perfume (not your fragrance) and just lightly spray the runner. It took 2 different kinds before I found the one she didn't like.

Senior Member stitchntimesewing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    PEOPLE! will you listen to yourselves????? Table Cloth, table mats, place mats, coasters??????? These are CAT accessories!:):):):):)
    Yes, it all belongs to them. And the louder they purr while laying there the better they like the item.

One of my cats loves my table runners. I spray water on her when I find her on it because I don't want her on the table with her long hair. She keeps going back and if she stays off during the day, she will get up there at night, because I find her there in the mornings. Can't break her of it. She has her own bed that she used before I had the table runners.

I don't let my cats get on the tables. They are allowed on the bed,the couch,and my lap,but no tables or counters.

I had one who would not stay off the counters so I used double stick tape for a few days and she got the hint. It does not hurt them but they don't like the feel.

Blog Entries
    When I'm not home the cat stays in his area, I know that because the door is shut. I learned to do that when a friend lost her cat due to a fire and of course no one was home and the cat hid, no way to find the cat to save it. In one room when no one is home, and at night, at least we know where the cat will be have a better chance of saving him.

I just have to laugh at all the comments! Cats do what cats want to do. My cat, a calico, will do what she darn well wants to do.
    We don't train them - they train us!
    She sleeps where she wants to, when she wants to, and most of the time it is where either fabric or a quilt is,if there happens to be both - even better!

Gotta love them!! My Siamese have me well trained. At this minute one is sleeping on a wet sweater that I was drying and shaping. Guess she doesn't think it needs shaping and I thought cats didn't like wet "stuff" :-o

Blog Entries
    Mine will jump in the shower with anyone if the door is left open! I can use a hand shower and give him a good bath and he'll just stand there. He hates the blow dryer though.

My cat doesn't get on the table either. She waits for the dogs to give her the all clear and then she does! Evidence: soft black hair on the runner.

I've had 3 cats over 45 years. They were and are NOT welcome anyplace food is prepared or served. Each learned because I was vigilant with a spray bottle of water when they could first jump high enough. They also don't get on coffee tables, end tables or dressers. And my dogs (from daschund to great dane and now a retriever) are not allowed on the furniture. It's like teaching a child not to touch.

Blog Entries
    a big YES!

Sounds like you need to make many table runners. Perhaps the cat would like his own custom table runner. Just whip it off the table and replace when you have dinner or company.

Blog Entries
    My cat isn't allowed on the table, but he does love to help me work with my fabrics!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast