Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tabletop Quilting Frames >

Tabletop Quilting Frames

Tabletop Quilting Frames

Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Tabletop Quilting Frames

I am wanting to begin doing my own freehand quilting on the quilt tops I piece. I am currently in the market for a fairly inexpensive tabletop frame to use with my original Bernina 830. I have found three used frames and was hoping y'all would give me your opinions/comments on the Handi Quilter Tabletop frame, the B Line Quilting frame, and a Grace Quilting frame. Comments and/or suggestions please!!!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

By original Bernina 830, are you referring to a vintage Bernina? I'm just thinking that a vintage 830 will weigh more and may require a sturdier frame. I don't have experience with tabletop frames, but my impression is that Grace frames are not built for heavy machines.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 PM

Another consideration, how much throat space does that Bernina have?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 AM

I know that many people have the table top frames and enjoy them. I had a handiquilter and used it with a Juki TL98E. That machine has a 9 in throat space. I make mostly bed size quilts - twin size up to King size. I have to say that I found the quilting frame with my Juki less than desirable.

Because of the size of quilts that I make, by the time I got past the middle of the quilt, I was only able to quilt a pattern that was 3 or 4 inches wide. I found this to be very limiting.

So I threw away the frame and just FMQ on the machine in my quilting table using the 'scrunch' method. This way I can quilt block designs, etc and I am not limited to how wide a design I can quilt.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 AM

I quilted on an original table top B-line frame with a Juki and then a Handiquilter16. I enjoyed the process more with the Handiquilter as I had more throat room. The only limiting factor was the poles were not sturdy enought to hold the larger quilts easily. I ended up getting electrical conduit and inserting the poles into the center. The sprockets for rolling the rollers fit into the poles..and the poles fit into the conduit. I eventually sold the whole set up with the HQ16 to a friend when I upgraded. She uses it daily! I hope this helps...
Old 11-15-2013, 08:40 AM

Default John Flynn frame?

You don't mention the price you're willing to pay, buy I'm wondering if you have considered the John Flynn multi-frame as an inexpensive solution?
http://www.flynnquilt.com/

Originally Posted by Chaney Ranch View Post
I am wanting to begin doing my own freehand quilting on the quilt tops I piece. I am currently in the market for a fairly inexpensive tabletop frame to use with my original Bernina 830. I have found three used frames and was hoping y'all would give me your opinions/comments on the Handi Quilter Tabletop frame, the B Line Quilting frame, and a Grace Quilting frame. Comments and/or suggestions please!!!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure how the frames you are looking at are priced. You might want to consider making your own tabletop quilting frame. This website offers a kit, and Kenneth Lund has a lot of Youtube videos that show how to put it together and how to use it. There are also several threads on the QB with photos of people who have made modifications to this frame. You might want to check it out:
http://machine-quilt-frames.blogspot.com/
Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 PM

Yes, the 830 is the vintage model...purchased in 1977, but still runs like it did when it was brand new!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 PM

I saw the Flynn frame being demonstrated at Houston for the first time a couple of weeks ago at the show. The price is certainly reasonable enough, and I read where some had replace the original poles with the electrical conduit to obtain the desired length. Have any of y'all had experience with this frame?

Last edited by Chaney Ranch; 11-15-2013 at 07:01 PM.