Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tacking your quilt >

tacking your quilt

tacking your quilt

Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM

I thought tacking was done with the machine, anyway that's what I call it. Instead of tying charity lap quilts I machine tack them because it is faster and easier than tying. Looks good too.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 PM

I've used the clasp stitch on my Janome to tack the borders and it worked
beautifully. I'm not experienced in FMQ so tacking worked really well for me.
:D There are no tails with the clasp stitch. It makes an asterisk and then I
cut the thread as close as possible. I don't like tails in my quilts. ;)
Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM

I tack many quilts ( it is different than tying). It goes so fast and easy... especially for baby quilts where there is concern over the threads/yarns coming free and causing a choking issue. Because it goes so fast I find I put alot mre tacks in than I would if I tied.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 AM

please explain to me how to tack with your machine. there is always something new to learn from this site. thank you
Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by betbet
please explain to me how to tack with your machine. there is always something new to learn from this site. thank you
I use a wide zig zag stitch( the widest , is what i prefer) , and take the stitch lenght down to zero. I stitch in place several times to make a sort of "bar tack" . I do this in the same places you would tie a quilt. I do it more than some are tyed since it goes so fast .. I just can. I sometimes use invisable thread on the top , or corresponding thread color depending on the quilt.

I know others who have used a straight stitch and made one inch X in places . Typically in the ditch. I have also seen a decorative stitch used , where they only stitch out a few of the motifs. Make sure to do a few back stiches if you use this method to lock your stitches.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who tacks (or ties) their quilts. I've tried machine stitching all the sandwiched layers of my quilt but I felt distracted by the machine stitching visibility. It was my first try at it and only a baby quilt at that. I still think I prefer a tacked quilt. Like Clem55, I do my tacking at the block corners and stagger the rows, too. And without enough room in my rooms, tacking seems to work out better for me anyway.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 AM

thanks lori, i think you have saved me alot of work
Old 11-17-2010, 07:29 AM

would u be so kind as to tell me how to tack a quilt , i am not sure i understand the difference in tacking and tying but would like to try it if it is faster than tying......thak you olivia
Old 11-17-2010, 02:08 PM

i do not think there is a difference between tacking and tying. if you have been tying then i think you have got it down pat.i asked about tacking because most people spoke of quilting. i got so that i was beginning to think i was the only one who didn't quilt. i wass beginning to feel oldfashioned because i am only tacking or tying.